Shottery or Alcester?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
naknat

Shottery or Alcester?

Post by naknat »

Our DD is going to take exams this year, but we still can't decide which school will be her first choice. I have my preferences on Alcester as mixed school (that is the main reason), my husband prefers Shottery for better academic results, DD likes both, so...
Any advices, personal experiences, preferences or just personal opinions will be greatly appreciated!
Warks mum

Re: Shottery or Alcester?

Post by Warks mum »

I don't have any experience of Alcester, I'm afraid - DH went there but it was a few decades ago and I'm sure much has changed! However, DD is in Year 10 at Shottery. She's thriving there but it's a very small community with high expectations and doesn't suit everyone.

From my restricted experience I'd say Shottery is wonderful for girls who are self motivated and want to be there. Most of the staff are great but they expect the girls to take control of their own learning from an early stage. The peer pressure is also quite intense, with so many girls in the same place. DD has definitely benefitted from keeping up friendships and activities outside school (including meeting boys in an ordinary environment...!)

Regarding the differences in academic results, I believe Alcester has a very large sixth form which tends to bias things - there isn't a local sixth-form college. Shottery has relatively few joining in the sixth form so can afford to take those with better grades, leading to better A level results.
magwich2

Re: Shottery or Alcester?

Post by magwich2 »

It might depend on whether your DD is likely to want to do sciences or humanities in the sixth form. If sciences I would definitely consider Alcester- you are very welcome to pm me. DD1 did humanities and had some great teachers, DD2 wants to be a vet and we have taken her away from Shottery to another school.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now