Should I appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
New to High Wycombe

Should I appeal?

Post by New to High Wycombe »

I would like to start by saying how invaluable this forum has been. We moved to Loudwater, High Wycombe from abroad back in April and I scanned through the whole forum searching posts on how to prepare my elder two for verbal reasoning exams. They sat their exams last Tues (year 7 and year 9) and passed. My son , year 7 also sat the exams for Royal Grammar School last Monday, passed and has been offered a place in Sept for year 8, which we have of course graciously accepted. So far, it has all worked out brilliantly.

However, my daughter, year 9, who has also passed the 13 plus has not been offered a place at Wycombe High or Beaconsfield High as presumably they are full. Our third preference, HighCrest Academy also doesn't have space. At the moment Bucks are contacting other nearby schools to allocate her a place.

Is it worth pursuing an appeal for Wycombe High, our first preference? Her 13 plus results are only valid till end of key stage 3 s not much time left, and what grounds do I appeal on. I've never looked into the appeals procedure before but feel like I'm left with no choice.

Your help is greatly appreciated
Etienne

Re: Should I appeal?

Post by Etienne »

New to High Wycombe wrote:Is it worth pursuing an appeal for Wycombe High, our first preference?
Yes, you must, even though it's not possible to say what your chances will be!
and what grounds do I appeal on.
You need to come up with some reasons for Wycombe High in particular:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You should also explain your circumstances (the move to HW, the fact that one child has got a place, but not the sibling).

Read all the Q&As, especially section C:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You should seriously consider appealing for other grammar schools too!

Better to have several appeals around the same time, than to wait for the Wycombe High result, and then start wondering "What next?" (If you wait for the WH result, and it turns out to be unsuccessful, there may or may not be time to arrange another appeal before the end of term).
Etienne
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

Lacking brains comment - sorry!
New to High Wycombe

Post by New to High Wycombe »

Thanks Etienne, your reply was very helpful, especially the links. I've been so focused on getting them both ready for the exams that I didn't even know that an appeals section existed. That's my bedtime reading sorted out for the next few nights. :D
justmeagain

Post by justmeagain »

Hi

We were in the same situation, moved after nomal allocation round last year, ds got a good 11+ score and couldn't get a place at preferred gs. We appealed and were successful for an immediate start. It's well worth the (considerable) effort, but it certainly helps to be incredibly well prepared. Glad to discuss further if you wish to pm me.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now