Tiffin exams - Bond/NFER Test papers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
coombeward

Tiffin exams - Bond/NFER Test papers

Post by coombeward »

My DC is now in yr 5 currently and I was looking for the suitable books. I read in some of the very earlier posts (2009 or about) that Bond Test papers are not suitable for Tiffin 11+ exams. As the things go, I bought these papers before finding this wonderful site.
Could some one please give any update? Do these still not cover for Tiffin exams?

We have just started on Bond Assessments books and ideally would want to do some more practice papers and then test papers. I now know about NFER but also read in the some earlier posts that these do not cover all the Tiffin's VR type. Is that still the position.

As yet we are doing DIY as we started late to look for tutor and whatever, name is coming up is fully booked for 2012 exam. Seems they are booked many years in advance. So DIY is the option we have. DC is happy so far with the workload; about 45-60 minutes 2 to 3 days per week. Getting the hang of VR/NVR.

Could any one give us some good suggestions? Most oblidged.

Edit:
just found the link for the old post

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =12&t=4782" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rosette

Re: Tiffin exams - Bond/NFER Test papers

Post by Rosette »

Hi Coombeward

There has as yet been no change in Tiffin exam. So the link to Patricia's post on verbal reasoning is still the best advice you will find. We didn't use Bond at all for Tiffin verbal.

We did use Bond for non verbal - the assessment books are only good in the early days; they have nets and reflections which aren't relevant. Also used AE Tuition workbooks x 2, plus they have a new book out with questions by type which found quite useful. There isn't so much non verbal material about but Test Teach offer some good papers to try nearer the time of the test, as well as NFER, etc.

You have plenty of time, so my advice would be not to overdo it - we started Feb for November exam.
Rosette
coombeward

Post by coombeward »

Rosette wrote:Hi Coombeward

There has as yet been no change in Tiffin exam. So the link to Patricia's post on verbal reasoning is still the best advice you will find. We didn't use Bond at all for Tiffin verbal.

We did use Bond for non verbal - the assessment books are only good in the early days; they have nets and reflections which aren't relevant. Also used AE Tuition workbooks x 2, plus they have a new book out with questions by type which found quite useful. There isn't so much non verbal material about but Test Teach offer some good papers to try nearer the time of the test, as well as NFER, etc.

You have plenty of time, so my advice would be not to overdo it - we started Feb for November exam.
Thanks, Rosette.

My worry is that Tiffin's test are said to be hardest, even VR. If there are hard practice papers available, we could have a go nearer the exam. Thanks again.
coombeward

Post by coombeward »

Just read about changes being made to Tiffin Girls exams; No such info in consultation of Tiffin Boys. Would go easy over the holidays.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to every one.
coombeward

Post by coombeward »

Could some one advise what level of papers DD should be doing now for September tests? Is it advisable to start on GL papers now or better to do these in summer holidays?

We have so far covered Bond books, Susan Daughtery books 1-4 and IPS for Verbal Reasoning; currently doing Athey packs. For NVR, we have covered Bond books and Learning together; currently doing Athey packs.
la boume

Post by la boume »

hi, my DD did GL and Walsh papers between Nonsuch exam(September) and Tiffin exam (November). During summer holidays we've done VR Letts Success year 6, NVR bond, Susan D.
DD said that VR was easy, no surprises, and had time to check the answers. We've learned a lot of hard vocab which was not really needed.
NVR was hard, according to my DD, and she guessed about 7 last questions, no time to check, of course. I think she has done about 95% of VR, but may be about 80% of NVR. She got into Tiffin.
DD said that Harry Potter books actually contain quite a lot of "11 plus" vocab. Another book I can recommend for vocab is "Autumn term" by Antonia Forest. Girls only, I'm afraid.
coombeward

Post by coombeward »

La boume, many thanks for the tips and congratulations to your DD.

As this time, there is very little time between the tests, we will have to do these papers by the end of August and do some revision in September. We do not want to over do; but at the same time, fear about not doing enough.
ClappedOutMum

Post by ClappedOutMum »

Hi

Confused since the link above is to the Bucks test.

Can anyone shed any succinct light on which of the commercially available practice papers are the best to prepare for Tiffin?

Thanks
laretta

Post by laretta »

Hi
I thank that would be Walsh.

Best of luck
ClappedOutMum

Post by ClappedOutMum »

Thanks, Laretta!

Just put an order in on Amazon. However, I could only find VR practice papers by Walsh.

Do you have any tips for any NVR practice papers?

Thanks again.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now