AS resits

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Kit

AS resits

Post by Kit »

Can anyway shed light on this for me- if an AS module doesn't go according to plan and needs to be retaken, will universities/ UCAS know it has been retaken and what the grade/UMS was first time?
For very competitive uni courses which require e.g. three grade A A2s "at the first sitting" does this refer to only the A2 part or the AS parts as well?

For subjects being carried on to A2 Is it possible not to have the first one " certificated" / cashed in? (whatever that actually means!).

It was all so much easier when we did our A levels and lower 6th was a year off from exams....
Looking for help

Re: AS resits

Post by Looking for help »

The short answer is yes it is available to the universities when they apply.

The long answer is that it might not make a huge difference - some of mine have had to resit some and it has not affected the offers they were given.

If you are looking at Oxbridge that might be different, but for the rest, as long as the AS isn't too bad and the school is predicting the grades required, well, it should be fine, with a good personal statement etc. When you apply, you can state 'grade pending', which makes it obvious there is a resit, but we've had no difficulties so far, and we're on our third . :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You have to declare your AS grades now - they must be cashed in.

Some require A grades in each module .... have a look on the UCAS website at the courses being considered and see.
Colourful-Rainbow

Post by Colourful-Rainbow »

Kit wrote:Can anyway shed light on this for me- if an AS module doesn't go according to plan and needs to be retaken, will universities/ UCAS know it has been retaken and what the grade/UMS was first time?
For very competitive uni courses which require e.g. three grade A A2s "at the first sitting" does this refer to only the A2 part or the AS parts as well?

For subjects being carried on to A2 Is it possible not to have the first one " certificated" / cashed in? (whatever that actually means!).

It was all so much easier when we did our A levels and lower 6th was a year off from exams....
Yes universities can find out whether it was retaken or not (I think so anyway).

If the course requires you to obtain grades at the first sitting then they either mean you need to achieve those grades within the two years of A-level (so re-takes don't matter) or, you can only sit each exam once (without re-takes). The former applies to most universities but highly competitive ones don't always allow this. To be sure of this, it is crucial to contact the university or check on their websites (or UCAS). It might not be always there though so it's better to phone.

If their AS grades are cashed in it means that they have to be declared on the UCAS form. Cashing in means that you will get the AS certificates for it as well. A2 predictions are stated by their teachers on the form too. If it is not cashed in, only the A2 predictions will be declared on the UCAS form. I personally believe they can see your grades anyway... Also if you take a resit this will also have to be declared on the UCAS form (when grades are cashed in, not sure when it isn't cashed in).

Also does your DC go to school? If so, cashing in is a decision made by the school as far as I know. How much information DC needs to put on the UCAS form regarding their grades entirely depends on the university course so you must research this. :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If so, cashing in is a decision made by the school as far as I know.
No, from last year ALL AS have to be cashed in - you can still resit a module but you MUST check with Universities.
Colourful-Rainbow

Post by Colourful-Rainbow »

Guest55 wrote:
If so, cashing in is a decision made by the school as far as I know.
No, from last year ALL AS have to be cashed in - you can still resit a module but you MUST check with Universities.
Oh ok, well I guess things have changed then!