Late start in GS

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
avcar

Late start in GS

Post by avcar »

Hi all 1st post we have been looking for a forum like this

DD is in Year 7 and is doing really well in High School. Which has got us thinking do they accept late entry into year 9? She is all for the move and we are about 5-6 miles from LGS & SGS. She is a confident girl and I think she would have no problems making new friends.

We didn't really know a great deal about GS until discussing with our friend in Lives in the local area.
I cant see any info of late starts for later years.
Can anyone help with this? I guess this must happen?

Thanks
TraffordMum

Re: Late start in GS

Post by TraffordMum »

Welcome to the forum, avcar.

Grammar schools rarely have vacancies in Y8-Y11, but they will have a policy dealing with it.

I am guessing from your post that you are talking about Langley and Slough Grammars. The relevant bits of their websites are here:

Langley: http://www.lgs.slough.sch.uk/page/?pid=11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Slough: http://www.sloughgrammar.berks.sch.uk/Y ... Admissions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I am wrong and your LGS and SGS are different schools then find the relevant websites, go onto the Admissions page and you should find the information you seek there. It's worth calling the schools to ask about vacancies.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Hi.
In our area (Gloucestershire) which has superselective GSs, it is possible to gain late entry. I personally know 6 children now who have gained late entry (years 8 and 9) into GS without having to appeal. My advice would be to contact the school you are interested in and ask the question: you might find it is easier than you thought. Three of the schools here required children to sit exams; one did not but requested reports from the child's school. If you don't ask, you won't know. Good luck.
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

Ring Langley and speak to the admissions lady - she is lovely and will be able to advise. I was disappointed with Slough when I needed to talk to them.
avcar

Post by avcar »

Thanks for your replies TraffordMum, Amber and faitacompli

i will have to call them to further info.

faitacompli is your child in LGS?
chad

Post by chad »

Both Slough and Langley have taken students after Y7 in the past.

The only stipulation is that have not taken the 11+ consortium exam and failed to reach the pass mark.

I believe they set their own exam for Y8-11.
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

avcar wrote:Thanks for your replies TraffordMum, Amber and faitacompli

No- we left preparation a little late (about 4 weeks) but Langley were fab - could not have been more helpful - sorted out a late sitting for us and showed us around the school - unfortunately did not score high enough to get an offer. We had an extra 4 weeks practice to sit Bucks and fortunately qualified there instead! I was mega impressed by Langley though - the school looked fabulous. And the admissions staff and deputy head were very approachable.
avcar

Post by avcar »

faitaccompli wrote:
avcar wrote:Thanks for your replies TraffordMum, Amber and faitacompli

No- we left preparation a little late (about 4 weeks) but Langley were fab - could not have been more helpful - sorted out a late sitting for us and showed us around the school - unfortunately did not score high enough to get an offer. We had an extra 4 weeks practice to sit Bucks and fortunately qualified there instead! I was mega impressed by Langley though - the school looked fabulous. And the admissions staff and deputy head were very approachable.
thanks again
sounds good seems everyone wants to get into LGS, fo they let you know what score you get?
i thought you could only sit a test once as they belong to the same consortium.

i wonder will it be the same type of non/verbal reasoning but for a 12+ or 13+ level when joing later in GS?
avcar

Post by avcar »

chad wrote:Both Slough and Langley have taken students after Y7 in the past.

The only stipulation is that have not taken the 11+ consortium exam and failed to reach the pass mark.

I believe they set their own exam for Y8-11.
thanks Chad sorry i missed your message you must have posted while i was typing my reply to the others.

thanks thats really helpful, our DD has not taken the 11+ yet. wondering what we can now prepare her for Y9? will it be non/verbal reasoning?

thanks again all
chad

Post by chad »

The school should give you details of what format the exam will take.... it is always best to check as the school sets its own exam after Y7.