KE 5-Ways 6th Form

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KenR

KE 5-Ways 6th Form

Post by KenR »

I know that A Levels and 6th form are a long way off for parents contemplating the 11+, but I thought it might be of interest to see some of the differences in approach between some of the KE Grammars.

Some of you may know that my DS is in the lower 6th at KE 5-Ways and took his AS exams last month. Along with a number of 5-Ways parents we are pretty frustrated and disappointed that 5-Ways 6th form does no further A Level teaching after AS exams. They are expected to do 2 weeks work placement and bits and pieces of project activities. Given that they were on study leave since April until the exams, that effectively means 4 months without A level teaching until they start again next Sept. I happen to believe this is inappropriate, particularly as there is a lot in the A2 sylabus and pupils often now need to get A* to get the Univ courses they want.

Interestingly, KE Camp Hill, 6th Form colleges and both the KE Independents (KEHS and KES) all start A2 teaching June.

Something to bear when approaching A levels at the end of year 11.
Guest55

Re: KE 5-Ways 6th Form

Post by Guest55 »

KenR - I wonder if there are any other schools that do this anywhere! I certainly could not teach the A2 syllabus without the half-term after AS exams; what is their justification for this?

We make all our students carry on until results with all of their 4/5 subjects in case the AS results change their minds about A2 choices.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

The AS exams are so early - there is a huge chunk of time before the summer hols.. DS's GS had the year 12 back do about 5 weeks work on A2 stuff last year - regardless of whether they intended to continue with the subject . As G55 says -you don't really know until the results come through as to which may have to be carried on next year.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Guest55

Agree completely - we were disappointed. The only rationale being that some students will be dropping some subjects and they may have to reorganise the teaching groups.

A number of parents intend to write to the head of 6th form - but too late for this year I fear.

Hopefully for others they may review for next year

Don't get me wrong - KE 5-Ways is an excellent school but it just goes to show that even good schools can make some big mistakes

With some subjects, such as AQA biology, the mark scheme is so odd that you really need time to study this to have any chance of getting A*s
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's much safer to carry on teaching them all - the groups can still be changed in September if necessary.

We also get them to start work on personal statements and UCAS - doesn't leave much time if you wait until next term.

I wonder if they can find another school that does this? I'd challenge them to!
KenR

Post by KenR »

We did wonder if running IB as a parallel option alongside A Levels is taking it's toll - this is the 1st year they have been doing that.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I don't see why that should make any difference at all.
poppit

Post by poppit »

KenR

How frustrating and concerning for you.

Reading your comments made me wonder whether their was anything in the National Curriculum which dictates what they should be taught during this term?

Also, setting the presence of the IB aside, what did they teach previous L6 cohorts at this time? And why has it changed?

poppit
solimum

Post by solimum »

Hi Ken! I gather Alcester Grammar also do this in their 6th form - I was quite surprised to hear that. The usual problem I've come across in the past at this post-AS stage is the regular dispute between a pupil who wants to give up the least desired A level course at once and the school who want them to continue in case they change their minds after the results in August! My DD (who was quite determined on giving up German) compromised by going to (most) of the lessons but not being bothered with the homework... But as for volume of work to get through, certainly in Biology they were still covering new A2 content the week before half term this summer , so without the extra session last summer they would really have struggled....
tiredmama

Post by tiredmama »

KenR wrote:Hi Guest55

Agree completely - we were disappointed. The only rationale being that some students will be dropping some subjects and they may have to reorganise the teaching groups.

A number of parents intend to write to the head of 6th form - but too late for this year I fear.

Hopefully for others they may review for next year

Don't get me wrong - KE 5-Ways is an excellent school but it just goes to show that even good schools can make some big mistakes

With some subjects, such as AQA biology, the mark scheme is so odd that you really need time to study this to have any chance of getting A*s
I am reading through all old threads about five ways, just wondered if anything has changed since ?
"To show me is far better than to lecture everyday.
To lead me is far greater than to just point out the way.
So if you tell me everything then I shall understand,
But rapid streams of words cannot compete with deed of hand[...]"