Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
rose6

Writing on Uniform?

Post by rose6 »

Hi.

I need some help.

I am a single mother on low income, my son is going to a secondary school in September where i can use some of his current primary school unifrom which i only purchased about 5 months ago.

He keeps asking if his friends can write on his uniform on his last day at his primary school.

I insisted that he takes a note book into school if he really needs friends to write messages etc. He seems to think that he will be the odd one out if he takes a note book into school.

Is this the done thing or is he just trying to do something that he knows that i wouldnt aprove of.

Advice would be appreciated.

Regards.

Rose

Post by Guest »

Hi, Rose

Weird as it sounds,that is exactly what my child did on the last day of primary school.

Every one wore a white shirt and they scribbled messages onto the shirts .Teachers as well.

I thought it was very wasteful but it seems all Yr 6 pupils do that.
I chose the smallest and oldest shirt I could find from Yr 5 and my child used it on that day .

The written all over shirt is hanging in the cupbard ,unwashed as the messages might wash out, all these last 2 years and I'm secretly going to chuck it out.I don't think it will be missed.

But it IS the done thing in our school and he will feel left out.
Rose6

Post by Rose6 »

Anonymous wrote:Hi, Rose

Weird as it sounds,that is exactly what my child did on the last day of primary school.

Every one wore a white shirt and they scribbled messages onto the shirts .Teachers as well.

I thought it was very wasteful but it seems all Yr 6 pupils do that.
I chose the smallest and oldest shirt I could find from Yr 5 and my child used it on that day .

The written all over shirt is hanging in the cupbard ,unwashed as the messages might wash out, all these last 2 years and I'm secretly going to chuck it out.I don't think it will be missed.

But it IS the done thing in our school and he will feel left out.
Yes.... i cant seem to come to terms with it, it seems a very strange thing to do.

I will just have to do the same as you and find the oldest shirt in the back of the wardrobe for them to scribble over.

You say that teachers do it too, how weird :roll:

It will be going straight into the dustbin when he gets home :twisted:

Thanks for the advice.

Regards.

Rose
Northkentmum

Post by Northkentmum »

Hi Rose

My daughters doing the same thing and has already told me on her last day she's wearing her shirt and skirt instead of summer dress so everyone can write on her shirt. All of last yr6 did the same it appears this is the thing to do!!!

I guess as my daughters get older there are going to be lots of things that I find strange and in comparrison this is probably quiet mild...... :?
NKM
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear All

Yes, I can also confirm its the 'done thing ' [primary school]

I sent my babes in with a PERMANENT marker and a large T shirt from Asda, which they were allowed to wear over their uniform. They have been washed many times and were used as night shirts for a while, they are now in their school memory box

However, my children's grammar schools were totally against the idea, in fact my daughters school made it quite clear, anyone found marking their uniform would be sent home.

Patricia
Tired Mum

Post by Tired Mum »

Hi Rose,

I agree with the other posters too. It is the done thing where we live and the shirt is then kept. Incidentally, we did the same when I left school many many moon ago and now I am wondering where the thing is :oops: :oops: :oops: No doubt my daughter will cherish hers better than I obviously did.

I did not know that the teachers contributed too though :roll: how strange!

TM

Post by Guest »

Its the modern day version of the autograph book. We have my sons in a drawer and he likes to look at it from time to time. Just get him to wear the oldest shirt that day. By July there is bound to be one shirt that he's managed to make too tatty for secondary school. If not how about an old shirt from a charity shop?
guest00

Post by guest00 »

I don't see what is so strange about getting everyone to sign a shirt. I think it is a lovely idea and I hope that they do it in my sons school.

I think it is more symbolic and fun writing on a shirt than in a book. Don't forget for most of the children, they are leaving behind everything that they have known. They are not wise to the world like us old folk that have been there seen it and done it.

Like other people have suggested, there must be an old shirt lying around in the wardrobe or you could get one from a charity shop.

Forget about you thinking it is weird, imagine what fun the children will be having, surely that's worth the price of a shirt.
Louise2

Post by Louise2 »

It is definately the done thing my daughter last year had writing all over her shirt, skirt and schoolbag. Then they rounded off the last day with a rounders match between teachers and year 6 then finished with a teachers and pupils waterfight. Fab fun.

Post by Guest »

I agree with you guest00....not really weird at all! It's a huge change for children who may have spent the past seven years with the same group of friends.

And as for teachers signing the shirt...I don't think that is strange either, rather an endorsement of a good realationship between teacher and puil. After all, the kids don't have to ask their teachers to sign. Looking back I think that there would have been a few I would have actively avoided if the custom operated then!!!! :roll:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now