Essex 11+ Exam Sept 2012 (Entry 2013)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Suresh

Essex 11+ Exam Sept 2012 (Entry 2013)

Post by Suresh »

As the date for the 11+ exam has been preponed to September, The news sysyem as i gather is as follows.

September 22, 2012 Test.
October 15, 2012 Results.

As by then people do not apply with their choices to the LEA, the CSSE will only send the standardised scores of the children to the parents on Oct 15,2012.
No Rankings will be done as they do not know which school you are going to apply.

They are going to send a cut off standrdised scores for the previous years for all the grammar schools, so based on that the parents SHOULD MAKE a informed Caluclated decision.

Wow , as the test date and the results are held earlier, i thought things are going to me much easier. Looks more complicated then it was, i think.
Anyway thought I would post this as it gives an idea to new aspirants for Sept 2013 intake what the process would be. Best Wishes for all.
Last edited by Suresh on Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Manana

Re: Essex 11+ Exam Sept 2012 (Entry 2013)

Post by Manana »

Suresh wrote:They are going to send a cut of standrdised scores for the previous years for all the grammar schools, so based on that the parents SHOULD MAKE a informed Caluclated decision.
I don't understand that-sorry if I'm being slow! What does that actually mean?
Suresh

Post by Suresh »

Hi Manana,

If you look at the scores for 2012, every child is given a standardised score based on the marks the have got in the three tests.

Standardisation best I leave to the seniors, they can explain it better. I do not want to confuse you, but I think there are posts which explain that.
Manana

Post by Manana »

Suresh wrote:Hi Manana,

If you look at the scores for 2012, every child is given a standardised score based on the marks the have got in the three tests.

Standardisation best I leave to the seniors, they can explain it better. I do not want to confuse you, but I think there are posts which explain that.
Thanks for the reply. I understand standardisation (well as much as the next person!), but I didn't understand what you meant by
They are going to send a cut of standrdised scores for the previous years

What does a cut of mean?
Suresh

Post by Suresh »

Cut off means the last child (96 paces in CRGS, so the 96th child) who was offered in a particular grammar school say CRGS with a score of 333.3342 ( When ranked was 141 ) was the standardised score of the last child offered on March 1 last year in CRGS. And this year it was 340.something.( when ranked was 125)
Please note there were 4 children in between 341 and 340, that is the difference for this year in CRGS.
Last edited by Suresh on Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Manana

Post by Manana »

Suresh wrote:Cut off means the last child who was offered in a particular grammar school say with a score (example) of 333.3342 ( When ranked was 141 ) was the standardised score of the last child offered on March 1 last year in CRGS. And this year it was 340.something.( when ranked was 125)
Please note there were 4 children in between 341 and 340, that is the difference for this year in CRGS.

Aha-that makes much more sense, I know what a cut off is!

A cut of, was the bit that was confusing me!!
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

The problem is that last year's cut off scores are not going to be particularly helpful because of this year's changes to admission arrangements.

The Chelmsford schools are allocating 80% of their places to catchment children. This may mean that the cut off score will be lower for in-catchment children but considerably higher for others. Or it might make little difference to the IC cut off as children who would have otherwise opted for Colchester/Southend may fancy their chances a bit more and apply to Chelmsford. Similarly, the Southend schools have changed their catchment and this could change the pattern of application to the other schools (Chelmsford in particular). The Colchester schools have not made changes but will be affected by those of the other schools. They may receive more applications from those who are OOC for Chelmsford (despite the travel options being entirely impractical) or they may lose the usual cohort who travel to the school from Chelmsford. The Southend schools now have a larger catchment area and so their cut off score may increase or it may simply mean that
fewer OOC places are allocated.

For this year at least, October will bring news of a score that will be meaningless to all but a few whose marks are 90% across the board and those who got less than 60%.
toolate

Post by toolate »

It is, I think going to be chaos. But at least we will be spared the agony being bumped down the waiting list as presumably everyone will have to get their choices right first time and be stuck with their decisions.

As CRGS is our only option (geographically) we will be spared the agonies of trying to decide which school order to put down, but given the catchment changes, I can't imagine how people will decide whether to go for an easier or super-selective.

I foresee very high traffic on this website in October....
bravado

Post by bravado »

So...being incredibly dense today...does this all mean that even though "results" will be out in October, they won't be easy to interpret and you'll still have to wait until March for the definitive answer? :lol:
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Oh, you're not being dense - the whole thing is clear as mud! The agonising wait between November and March has increased by two months.

It should be easier to gauge in subsequent years once the catchment changes have bedded in.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now