What not to say in an Appeal Hearing

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
cscistars

What not to say in an Appeal Hearing

Post by cscistars »

Hi My sons appeal is next week (Kent) he has scores of NVR 139 VR 137 and Maths 109. Extenuating circumstances include Grandmother's death in Sep and issues with the teacher which effected his work this year. His year 5 sats were L5's. Just got the appeal papers, School is oversubcribed with strong letter from HT as to why they can't take over PAN.

At the hearing can I argue that they took 5 over PAN two years ago? Also with regards to Pri Head's appeal this was her 1st year as a Pri Head she made no mention of extenuating circ only supplied year 6 work even though we had disscussed the fact in Nov 06 that his work was suffering as a result of the above if I mention this at the hearing is it likely to jeopardise my chances?

Interestingly she failed to get any appeals through including one to an undersubscribed Grammar for a child with scores of 139,139 and 114!

Any advice greatfully received.
Etienne

Re: What not to say in an Appeal Hearing

Post by Etienne »

cscistars wrote: At the hearing can I argue that they took 5 over PAN two years ago?
You can - but I assume this was as the result of successful appeals, in which case the school will simply point out "We had no choice in the matter". Unless there's an obvious flaw in the case for oversubscription, it's usually best to counter the authority's argument with reasons why you need a place. See Q&As C2.
cscistars wrote:Also with regards to Pri Head's appeal this was her 1st year as a Pri Head she made no mention of extenuating circ only supplied year 6 work even though we had disscussed the fact in Nov 06 that his work was suffering as a result of the above if I mention this at the hearing is it likely to jeopardise my chances?
I don't think so. Incidentally, the ombudsman has stated: "Although such [headteacher] reviews may be helpful in moderating the effect of selective testing, they are not wholly objective because headteachers’ reasons for seeking a review may vary, and parents are unable to seek, or participate in, such reviews."

Regards
Etienne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

HI,

However, it is worth looking at the numbers in the Sixth Form - if they have allowed this to 'grow'? If so, this IS their choice and gives you strong grounds for saying that the school can't be that ful!!
Alex

Post by Alex »

The answer given to this point in the appeals I attended was that sixth form classes are generally small and therefore more easily accommodated than a class of 30 and each student is only studying a small number of subjects - therefore the pressures on accommodation for sixth form students are different and there is much more flexibility for room use etc.
Tired Mum

Re: What not to say in an Appeal Hearing

Post by Tired Mum »

Etienne wrote:You can - but I assume this was as the result of successful appeals, in which case the school will simply point out "We had no choice in the matter". Unless there's an obvious flaw in the case for oversubscription, it's usually best to counter the authority's argument with reasons why you need a place. See Q&As C2.
Hi Etienne,

My friend has just learned that the appeal for a place for her daughter has been unsuccessful. At the appeal the rep from the school stated two incorrect points.

a) that the school was at the PAN - it was not (a fact that I knew because we had just been awarded a place and was told the numbers five days earlier)

and

b) that the school had never gone over the PAN in previous years - My friend had placed in her appeal pack (I gave her this) an extract of actual numbers for 2003, 2004 and 2005, obtained from the LEA, which clearly showed that the school had gone over by as much as 9 places once and 8 places twice. I am afraid that I did not give her the extract of the school's own govenor's report which confirmed this!

Unfortunately, my friend did not challenge what the school said as that would have been distasteful in the hearing! (I agree) However now she has received news of the failure of her appeal - not on grounds that her daughter was not of the required standard (the school seemed to concede this point prior to the appeal and stated this in writing in their appeal response) - but on the grounds that the school is oversubscribed.

I have a bad taste in the mouth about this one! My friend does not want to go down the complaints route as fortunately she has a very good alternative - albeit a little far away - and has the attitude that they tried their best (which they did) BUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTT I really have a bad feeling with this one! I want to take up a placard.....Am I misguided and getting on my high horse about trivia?

TM (Tired of Fighting but will keep doing so)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Alex,

Growing the sixth form is not highly regarded by our local panels as it's the school's choice - several popular Uppers have had to limit intake because of complaints by the panels!!
cscistars

Post by cscistars »

Just found out our appeal was successful hurrah! Our son's reaction made it all worthwhile.
Footymad

Post by Footymad »

Great News!!!!!!!

Well pleased for you :lol:

Footymad xx.
cindy

Post by cindy »

Very well done, expect you will sleep well tonight!!

I would send you a big congratulations pic, but dont know how to!

BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cindy!!