Wallington Grammar for Boys...Opinions?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BusyQueenBee

Wallington Grammar for Boys...Opinions?

Post by BusyQueenBee »

I have been considering this school for DS but did not make the open day last year. I loved Wilsons but was not taken by Sutton so much...What I am asking is some general opinions on Wallington CGS and specifically how important music is. DS is very musical and when I look at their website and newsletters it seems to be all about sports and academics and very little about music - in fact, no mention at all in the three newsletters on their web. DS would love to go to a school where music is a big deal beyond the one big band and the one orchestra, meaning it has small jazz groups, freedom to have your own rock band, performances outside school, etc. For example, I was very impressed with the music opportunities at Trinity, although I know that that is an independent school.
Would love to hear your opinions! Thanks.
BusyQueenBee

Re: Wallington Grammar for Boys...Opinions?

Post by BusyQueenBee »

Anyone willing to share some info on Wallington Grammar for Boys....?
Last edited by BusyQueenBee on Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
panicattack

Post by panicattack »

I thought it was extremely good when I looked round. Friendly, unpretentious boys. Nice- looking school with great grounds. Headmaster seemed caring and supportive of boys. Overall- a very good vibe. I, too would like to hear more from parents and anyone who goes there.
zeinab

Post by zeinab »

No1 has been there for 6 years now and has done amazingly well. All teachers are very approachable & deal with any concerns immediately. The HT who took over from Dr Haworth a few years ago lacks the charisma, but compensates in passion, dedication & drive for the school.

Unsure about the music side, but you can always phone up the school office & ask to speak to the music teacher.

Great traditional grammar school with an impressive reputation that serves the best of 7 years of education any boy / parent can wish for.
BusyQueenBee

Post by BusyQueenBee »

Thank you Zeinab.
zeinab

Post by zeinab »

You're welcome, BusyQueenBee. Phone the school office tomorrow with your concerns & ask if the music teacher can phone when it's convenient for both of you. List all the questions you wish to ask beforehand.

:)
Plum

Post by Plum »

DS is just coming to the end of year 8 and absolutely loves it!

Don't know much about music as DS is not that way inclined, however, the music teacher did sit with him after school one day just to get him passed the level he needed for Yr 8 which I thought was nice. DS even joked with him that he was looking forward to doing Music GCSE...! :lol:

They have put on a musical for the last two years, or maybe longer - I don't know (last year was Oliver Twist, this year was We Will Rock You). They have a "Battle of the Bands" competition each year as well and a talent contest for the teachers.

The school is very much promoting sport and fitness which was something I think was missing under the old head. The new (not so new now) head does come across as a bit dreary (not good at public speaking) but I feel that he really cares about the school and is sorting out the finances so that facilities can be (and already have been in some areas) improved.

Open day is Thursday - DS will be either in the Art room or on the rugby pitch!

Hope this helps.
BusyQueenBee

Post by BusyQueenBee »

Thank you everyone. Going tomorrow to open day.
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

BusyQueenBee,

Did you go to the open evening last night? We went and liked what we saw, though unfortunately the horrendous traffic from sutton through to Wallington reinforced for us that it might just be too difficult a journey for our DS.

One thing I did notice (particularly in relation to earlier concerns about music) that there wasn't a lot of music going on at all. There was one boy strumming away on the guitar in a music room and visitors had a chance to have a go on the electronic keyboards, but that was about it. To be fair, I am comparing it with Tiffin boys last year where music is obviously a really big deal - choirs and orchestras everywhere, but also at Sutton last year there seemed a bigger emphasis on music.

Apart from that, it's great that Wallington has its playing fields on site, that makes a big difference IMO. The boys were all a pleasure to speak to (without exception) but the thing I was most impressed with was the enthusiasm of the teachers, particularly in all of the science rooms. DS was enthralled and literally had to be dragged out of a couple of the rooms. Also excellent that they now offer food technology (boys need to learn to cook too!) but slightly disappointed with the limited languages offering (French and spanish only).

Anyone else think it was a bit over the top to have police close off local roads. I appreciate residents have concerns about parking, but honestly, we thought there had been multiple murders when we first arrived :lol:
la boume

Post by la boume »

2out3, I thought that it was crime scene too! then I realised it was Wally Boys open evening. traffic was particularly bad because of that, IMO. I happened to be in the area and was very late for my appointment.