Appeal letters

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
JMG

Appeal letters

Post by JMG »

Hi, can I just ask are all appeals judged on their own merits and decisions made immediately after the appeal is heard or are all the appeals heard and then a decision is made as to which are to be upheld? Only asking as our appeal was last wed and we were told we would hear once all the appeals had been heard, by 2/07/12!
Thanks
Sally-Anne

Re: Appeal letters

Post by Sally-Anne »

JMG wrote:Hi, can I just ask are all appeals judged on their own merits and decisions made immediately after the appeal is heard or are all the appeals heard and then a decision is made as to which are to be upheld?
For over-subscription appeals, the latter. If the panel decides that the school can admit some, but not all appellants, they have to weigh up all the cases and decide which are the strongest.
JMG

Post by JMG »

Hi, thanks for your reply. The appeal was for non qualification and at the time of the appeal there were 17 places available. We also live in catchment with a sibling at the school! Do they still hear all the appeals first prior to making a decision or will those that passed but are out of catchment have priority?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It's an interesting question!

Personally I would have thought all these appeals should receive equal consideration, with decisions taken at the very end of the process.

Clearly, if non-qualification is an issue, there’s that particular hurdle to overcome – but I can't immediately see any reason why the starting point should be to prioritise those who are already qualified.
Etienne
JMG

Post by JMG »

Thanks for your reply, so am I correct in thinking that for non qualification all the appeals will be heard before any decisions are made? Is this a fair system, shouldnt all appeals be judged on their own merits and a place offered or declined? Sorry just want to confirm how places are allocated, not that I feel we have any chance in succeeding in our appeal as our son's school were totally unsupportive despite agreeing that he was of grammar school ability. Oh well all I can hope for is a miracle, or devine intervention!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I can't give you a definitive answer, JMG, because the Code of Practice doesn't spell out in detail what should happen in this situation (grammar school appeals merit only a brief mention in the Code!). All I can do is offer an opinion, based on what in practice usually happens.

Buckinghamshire have up to now run a system that would probably have suited you. They hear appeals against non-qualification in January/February, so that successful appellants can be included in the 1st March allocations. Then, in the summer term, they hear appeals to sort out oversubscription.

I have to say, however, that in almost every other authority where there are selective schools, there is a single appeal in the summer term at which all issues are simultaneously considered (both qualification and oversubscription), with all decisions taken at the very end.

Each case is considered on its own merits, with the panel applying all the relevant 'tests' (Is the child qualified, or can the child be deemed qualified on the basis of alternative academic evidence? If so, and if the school is oversubscribed - or might become oversubscribed as a result of successful appeals - do the parental reasons for wanting a place outweigh any prejudice to the school?)

However, the Code goes on to caution that - if the panel is considering allowing more appeals than it feels the school can actually cope with - then it must compare cases and decide which ones to uphold. It is for this reason the Code states that no decisions can be taken until the very end of the process.
Etienne
JMG

Post by JMG »

Thanks Etienne that makes it all a lot clearer. I won't be holding my breath waiting for the decision letter on 2nd July, especially as there were 56 appeals being heard!
Thanks Jo
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now