Year 7-9 Biology companion text book

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Paramjeet

Year 7-9 Biology companion text book

Post by Paramjeet »

Hello, just a short query, can anyone recommend a good Biology text book to accompany the KS3 syllabus please. Currently DC studies with notes from class.
Amber

Re: Year 7-9 Biology companion text book

Post by Amber »

Doesn't the school issue one?
I would not recommend buying one unless you are totally sure that your DC needs one - usually the schools will give them out if they think children need them. If you are really determined to get one, find out from the school exactly what syllabus they are using. There are so many different ones and it would be pointless to get the wrong one.

Have you tried BBC Bitesize? Syllabus specific and covers all the main points.
andyb

Post by andyb »

DS1 did not have a text book for KS3. If there was something in particular that they needed a book for the teacher issued one (I think there were 2 that were used as neither covered the whole syllabus adequately). The KS4 text book is exam board/syllabus specific and is issued at the beginning of the year.
daveg

Post by daveg »

Amber wrote:Doesn't the school issue one?
I would not recommend buying one unless you are totally sure that your DC needs one - usually the schools will give them out if they think children need them. If you are really determined to get one, find out from the school exactly what syllabus they are using.
There's no particular reason for there to be an "exact" syllabus at KS3, nor any reason for it not to change at short notice.
Amber

Post by Amber »

daveg wrote:
Amber wrote:Doesn't the school issue one?
I would not recommend buying one unless you are totally sure that your DC needs one - usually the schools will give them out if they think children need them. If you are really determined to get one, find out from the school exactly what syllabus they are using.
There's no particular reason for there to be an "exact" syllabus at KS3, nor any reason for it not to change at short notice.
Quite possibly, but I have yet to work in a school which does not have a particular scheme of work and use one core set of text books in KS3 Science. I have taught KS3 Science to a range of children from different schools because of the nature of my work, and very little of my lesson prep has been transferable from one school to another.
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

Thank you for the suggestions.
SEP18

Post by SEP18 »

My DS uses the OCR revision guides for each subject to gain a bit of further knowledge especially if he did not understand what was being said in the class. He also found these useful to make the revision cards for his end of year test.

Whilst I do appreciate that OCR might not be the examining board that the school uses, a lot of what is covered in school is in the revision guide.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now