Is my DD scoring enough to be in with a chance at Kendrick?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BaileyLane

Is my DD scoring enough to be in with a chance at Kendrick?

Post by BaileyLane »

Hi all,
With just 3 or so months to go, I'd love some honest opinions as to whether or not my DD is scoring highly enough on practice papers to be in with a chance at Kendrick.

In timed situations she is scoring
NVR between 84-90%
VR between 79-85%

She is a summer baby so young for her year.

I had thought these were great scores :D until someone told me you need to be scoring 95% every time to be confident of getting a place....... so feeling a bit disheartened at the moment. I know Kendrick is super-competitive, but I don't want to set my dd up for failure if there's no way she will pass with those kinds of scores.

What has been other peoples experiences? What were your kids scoring 3 months before the exam?

Thanks as always for any replies!
Bailey x
Reading Mum

Re: Is my DD scoring enough to be in with a chance at Kendri

Post by Reading Mum »

which papers do these scores relate to?

some papers are harder than others so it might help you to get good responses to your question - one that I am often asking myself at the moment.

Don't forget that this year is also the first year with a designated area for Kendrick so past experiences may not be quite as relevant.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

95% to be *confident* is a bit different to what you might need on the day, so I wouldn't worry too much. Those are good scores, just make sure she can replicate them on a variety of different papers, and she has to have a chance :) Plus she'll get another couple of points due to a summer birthday ...

As RM says, this year is going to be a weird one - will more girls try it as more locals think they might have a chance? Will fewer try it as the geographical restriction reduces numbers? No one knows. But, it's definitely worth having a go - you'll have a score before you apply, which will hopefully be helpful (though may be just another thing to stress over!) as there're quite a lot of stats and analysis here about the standardised marks.
BaileyLane

Post by BaileyLane »

Thanks for your responses. These scores are across a variety of papers - she doesn't seem to score better with one type than another, although she finds the 'Learning Together' ones toughest.

Have other parents found that much improvement can be made in 3 months? Or as my DD is reasonably static with her scores, is this likely to be her peak?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

My 2 DSs peaked on the day (not Kendrick, of course, Bucks). Three months before they were nowhere near, so plenty of time yet.
scary mum
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I am also relying on the fact that 3 months is enough time to improve so go for it
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Scores, with some improvement, are enough to be in with a chance. :)

Have a go at identifying and focusing on weaker question types, using solid techniques, using elemination methods, checking, etc, etc.

As she is getting NVR focus on boosting the VR scores. Three months is plentry of time for improvement.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now