Eek!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
FluffyD

Eek!

Post by FluffyD »

I have just got DS's confirmation letter that he is on the list for the EGS selection test and letting us know the dates etc for the exams. It is not far away now!
We are going tonight for an open day, I went last year with my DS but DH is coming today as he was away last year. I am looking forward to seeing it again and not feeling like a fraud for going too early as this is DS's year to look round IYKWIM?
Vic x
hermanmunster

Re: Eek!

Post by hermanmunster »

Very Eeeky! Know that feeling when you suddenly see it on paper!

Have a good time at the open evening DS used to love helping out in the chemistry lab.. :roll:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Makes it all seem so very real now doesn't it!

I know what you mean by feeling a fraud. When it was dd's turn we missed the open evening (in July - huh? all the other schools were September/October, they confuse us so easily :lol: ) and had to make an appointment to be shown round the school. When I told them we were OOC (the pupils showing us round that is) we were met with an 'Oh' which came across as 'wow, why are you looking around here, you don't have a cat in heck's chance of a place, we feel so sorry for you' kind of 'Oh', so yes, I can empathise with you on the fraud front!

Have a great time, you'll all enjoy it and give you renewed zeal for the time ahead :D
janet71

Post by janet71 »

I thought about going to the opening eve but had 2nd thoughts. My son went to Bingley grammar a few months ago for business day (a few schools all went to do a day thing)Anyway my DS came home saying he hated the school, kids were swearing and it was old and mold was on the walls etc - I used this to my advantage a little and pointed out that he better get into EGS then and pass the test :wink: ... So didnt want to go to EGS and for him to come away with any bad thoughts about it and undo his thought process. In my eyes nothing would be bad about it but kids see the oddest things and may not like the idea of doing rugby or latin and then he would not want to go. Poor thing said he would cry if he had to go to Bingley grammar after what he saw and I hate to think that this may happen if he doesnt get a place....I see them pouring out at home time and I cringe sometimes. Ah well like you said not long to go.
Gogi

Post by Gogi »

You will be there now i expect Fluffy! we were there last week as officially EGS parents and i was like the cat that got the cream! So proud of DS and privillaged to have a place. This year, 2012 sept intake they are taking 211 boys from 55 primary schools !!!! going as far out as Dales and Lancashire this year, and on the issue of OOC, we make up a v large chunk of intake, cant remember exact figure, but i have it some where.

We really enjoyed the open day! But why do they do the collect the stamps thing from every class room! it wasnt fun anymore at 9.45pm when the caretaker was wanting to lock up!!!

Enjoy!
xx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Gogi - I think we could have a North Yorkshire riot on our hands :wink: ... the intake is 112 ish...
Gogi

Post by Gogi »

Hi Janet71

I would look at all the upper schools. Visiting EGS gave DS the incentive to study hard but we also thought it was important to look at the local schools and to be as positive about them as we could. 11+ is the toughest thing ever for kids and parents. If your DS passes its wonderful and the 11+ is forgotten. If he doesn’t its the most stressful period in your life. Its ruthless and you may not have a choice. Have you been to see Beckfoot? Have you considered NHGS and CHGS?
Good luck

Gogi
x
Gogi

Post by Gogi »

Hey hermanmunster! Yes i know but the one golden ticket wont be available this yea now will it? Have all the appeals been heard?

There was a slight gasp in the hall when the head said 211 !

Im loving the Yorkshire chat....
Gogi
xx
janet71

Post by janet71 »

Gogi wrote:Hi Janet71

I would look at all the upper schools. Visiting EGS gave DS the incentive to study hard but we also thought it was important to look at the local schools and to be as positive about them as we could. 11+ is the toughest thing ever for kids and parents. If your DS passes its wonderful and the 11+ is forgotten. If he doesn’t its the most stressful period in your life. Its ruthless and you may not have a choice. Have you been to see Beckfoot? Have you considered NHGS and CHGS?
Good luck

Gogi
x
I think we are out of the Beckfoot area as Im am on the border is worse than bingley. I did look at NHGS 8 miles away but I can not see any direct bus route and there are no trains so I can not see how that is an option. (I have a younger daughter who still has to be taken to primary) I think Bingley Grammar is basically the best of comp options in the area.
janet71

Post by janet71 »

janet71 wrote:
Gogi wrote:Hi Janet71

Good luck

Gogi
x
I think we are out of the Beckfoot area as Im am on the border is worse than bingley. I did look at NHGS 8 miles away but I can not see any direct bus route and there are no trains so I can not see how that is an option. (I have a younger daughter who still has to be taken to primary) I think Bingley Grammar is basically the best of comp options in the area.
Gogi - My DS has covered VR IPS, Bond, GL pack 1 & 2, CPG, Bright sparks pack1 and NVR GL pack 1 & 2, CPG, Bond. Is there any that you would recommend to cover next? I was thinking Walsh or Bright sparks pack2 any thoughts?