Who can sit on an appeals panel?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
keepfaith

Who can sit on an appeals panel?

Post by keepfaith »

I would appreciate some advise on who can sit on an appeals panel
I have sent a message to the appeals box.

Thanks
Etienne

Re: Who can sit on an appeals panel?

Post by Etienne »

In the situation described, panel members would not be automatically disqualified, since the disqualification rules relate to the school being appealed for ("the school in question").
..... any person who has, or at any time has had, any connection with the authority, school or [any person employed by the local authority or governing body of the school in question, other than as a teacher or teaching assistant] which might reasonably be taken to raise doubts about that person’s ability to act impartially.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, it is a requirement that panel members should be independent. There is nothing in the rules, for example, that specifically states your best friend or worst enemy is disqualified from hearing your appeal, but clearly that would not be acceptable, and your best friend or worst enemy would be expected to declare a conflict of interest and to withdraw.

In the case described, I think it would have been best practice for the person or persons concerned to have mentioned a possible or perceived conflict of interest, and for the appellants to have been asked whether or not they wished to proceed.

The appellants themselves could not have raised any objections at the time, because they were unaware of the full background of the panel members.

I do think it would be worth making a complaint, first to the admission authority, and then - if necessary - to the ombudsman or EFA as appropriate, but it is not entirely certain what the outcome would be.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/ombudsman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
keepfaith

Post by keepfaith »

Hi

Thank you for your quick reply.

Does it make any difference if one is the LA governor?

Thanks

keepfaith
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Not as far as I can see.
Etienne