extended key stage 4

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

GemmaB

extended key stage 4

Post by GemmaB »

During a talk from our local ( non grammar) school the head teacher said they are introducing an extended key stage 4, which in effect means 3 years to concentrate on GCSE syllabus (as I understand) He said this means the "brighter" children could be "fast tracked" though GCSE courses and possibly do additional ones, or begin "A" level courses earlier. This would also give the ones needing a bit more time, just that.

Has anyone come across this??-has it worked?? Sound good in theory...

Thanks!!

Post by Guest »

Not exactly the same, but .....
My son is in year 7 at a local comp. He is in the top maths set and we've just found out his set is to be accelerated. He starts his GCSE course now with a view to taking the exam in year 9 or 10. Not sure what they will do with him after that. Many years ago, I took 'O' level Maths a year early, and passed, it was an experimental thing the school tried. But they didn't know what to do with us the following year so we took the same exam again, and I passed again with the same grade! I hope they think of something more useful to do with my son.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Gemma - they probably mean a two year KS3 - it's being tried with varying success. I have not seen any 'proper' research on the effectiveness.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Gemma

For your information....

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/second ... 025906.pdf

Patricia
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

This is Government spin so treat with caution!!
solimum

acceleration

Post by solimum »

My daughter's comp ( a language college) is doing this with top sets in French & German. The plan is to continue teaching the language in Yr 11 after taking the GCSE in Yr 10, not to AS level but increased vocabulary, possibly a different sort of qualification etc that would be useful whether or not they took AS in future. They also have some groups taking IT early and everyone does 0.5 RE starting in Yr 9. However none of these are KS3 SATS subjects so they're not bringing those forward. The top maths sets have in the past taken GCSE statistics as an additional subject rather than take maths early
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now