Entry into Y9

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pixiedust101

Entry into Y9

Post by pixiedust101 »

Hi

I am thinking of applying to both Dartford Girls and Wilmington Girls for a year 9 entry in September.

Can anyone tell me what levels their DC are achieving in Grammar schools at end of year 8. My DD is currently at level 7B for science, 7A for English and 6B for maths.

Many thanks
PD101
tonbridgemum

Re: Entry into Y9

Post by tonbridgemum »

Hi dont want to read and run so can only tell you what my son was (year 8) and is now (year 9) at a Grammar as a comparison.
He was 7B and now 7A for science. 6A now 7B English and 7C now 7A maths.
Dont know if this helps you at all, hopefully you will get some more posts :)
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Dont know why my year eight turned to a cool smilie above???!! :shock:
pixiedust101

Post by pixiedust101 »

Thanks for replying tonbridgemum

I've contacted the schools, and they are both full, with at least 7 girls needing to leave before they can take another girl.

Oh well. It was just a thought :)
andyb

Post by andyb »

pixiedust101 wrote:I've contacted the schools, and they are both full, with at least 7 girls needing to leave before they can take another girl.
7 girls need to leave to let another in presumably because they are currently over PAN? If they've taken extra girls in the past why can't they in the future?
mystery

Post by mystery »

They need to have 7 girls leave if you want to get a place off the waiting list. You do of course have a right to appeal. Why don't you try that if you are keen? You need to apply to the school, be turned down, and then appeal. The school is of course not telling you this when you phone up.
pixiedust101

Post by pixiedust101 »

Hi guys

Thanks for your replies.

I contacted the school we were most interested in. Her levels are fine, and are indicative of the levels she would need to be at to be of "grammar" material. She would need to sit an 12/13+ exams in NVR, VR and Numeracy, followed by papers in English, Maths and Science and a language of either French, German or Italian. Which for her, would be the sticking point - she takes Spanish at her current school.

We've managed to iron out a few of the problems we were having (nasty girls being mean :twisted:), and have a guarantee that she will not be in the subject groups with the same girls next year. They will also be setting the subject groups, which presently they only do for Maths and Science. So hopefully all a lot more positive.

Hopefully only got to worry about her younger sister's 11+ in September now!

It never ends, does it!

PD101