Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Manchestermum

Post by Manchestermum »

Hi there. I have been browsing on here for a few months. My DD is due to sit for AGGS, Sale and Stretford this year. We live in South Manchester, not in Trafford so think Sale might be a near impossible choice, even though we live closest to that school than the others. DD goes to a local primary therefore we have had a tutor once a week for the last 12 months to go over VR/NVR and more advanced maths than she is doing in year 5. We have also done quite a bit of practice with GL papers at home though not always timed. I have just ordered the Bond 11+ pack 1 papers and she is finding them quite tough (as am I!!). I was just wondering whether anyone else has got the Bond 11+ papers and whether I am right about them being harder than GL? I know that GL set all the entrance exams for these schools but there aren't many of them. Another question is are the GL papers a true reflection of the level she can expect in the real thing? She is getting around the 75% pass mark on the GL papers but I have not done a timed test on the Bond papers as I'm worried that it might knock her confidence.
Trying not to get too stressed!
TIDDLYMUM

Re: Newbie

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Hi

we live in South Manchester too , my son is at AGSB. Depending on where you live you may be more likely to get place at Sale than AGGS actually.Someone from Stockport got an offer this year ( and it wasn't West Stockport as in near Didsbury).You will see from reading that AGGS have 8 mile zone catchment but don't always go to the edge, last year was 6.2 ? Miles.Stretford often seems to have spare places- though last year some passers from the Urmston area didn't get a place and were offered local comps instead.
Manchestermum

Post by Manchestermum »

Thanks Tiddlymum. I think it'll be tough to get into any at the moment! I just know that Sale prioritise Trafford postcodes so thought we would be at the bottom of the pile. Do they go off a child's actual score i.e. the higher the results she gets the more chance of getting in? I know that's not the case at AGGS as it's passing the exam that counts and living less than 6 miles away (I know it's 8 miles on paper but have read they only went out to about 6 miles last year). We live just over 4 miles from AGGS as the crow flies I think. I just wish that our local comps were better and/or there were more options for us then it wouldn't feel so much like an uphill struggle!
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Just sent you a PM
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

Sale didn't fill all its places on 1st March this year, so don't rule yourself out of Sale. Once they have filled places with postcode people they than admit on highest score wherever you live. So you could live in Paris and get full marks and get in before someone in Wilmslow on anything lower.

AGGS is harder to pass than Sale, but you are right that as long as you pass score does not count and distance is what matters.
Manchestermum

Post by Manchestermum »

Thanks ladies. Seems like a minefield of stats and 'what if's....'. Just keep on plugging away and hope for the best without putting too much pressure on! Where's the wine??
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

<<passes the EPE Merlot to Manchestermum>>

It's easy to over-analyse. Just keep practising and that's the best thing you can do. Have you thought about applying to Urmston as well? Lovely school. Didn't fill its places this year at the first attempt but might not happen again due to changing the timing of the exam for 2012.
Manchestermum

Post by Manchestermum »

Not considered Urmston as a bit further away and thought only Trafford children
accepted unless out of catchment kids get an exceptionally high score. Will have a look though. I just don't want her to get overkill on the exam front though!
Manchestermum

Post by Manchestermum »

Thanks for the Merlot by the way. Had run out of the cheap shiraz!