Year 3 report

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Growingtofast

Year 3 report

Post by Growingtofast »

Hi

I would like some general advice before I speak to the class teacher this afternoon. My daughters school report giving her optional sat results for year 3 shows that she has remained at level 2a in maths the same result she had in year 2.

Levels 2a and 3c represents achievement at the nationally expected standard for most pupils at the end of year 3, my concern is that she has not moved at all and is this something I should be worrying about.

The results for the school are very good this year according to the table we have been provided with so therefore 2a looks like she is under achieving with respect to her school year.

My main concerns are if she is behind compared to the rest of her class at the end of year 3 will this have an impact on year 4. She was receiving extra tuition from the school for about 4 weeks in the run up to the sats but this all seems to have stopped now which makes me think it was only offered to benefit the school tables and not my daughter :x

How best to help?

Any advice gratefully received thank you
guest201

Re: Year 3 report

Post by guest201 »

I too would be concerned, a 2a at the end of year 2 is a good level if she is still at the same level a year later then surely there has been no progression, do you consider her to be competent in maths? I would ask the teacher how they were assessed, if it was a test or teacher assessment. If it was a test maybe she had an off day?
Manana

Post by Manana »

Growingtofast wrote:My main concerns are if she is behind compared to the rest of her class at the end of year 3 will this have an impact on year 4.
My main concern would be that she has made no progress all year. Go and speak to the teacher and find out why. I am a Y2 teacher and the only time (and this is rare) children have left my class having made *no* progress is when there have been significant things happening (eg child has been taken into care part way during the year obviously causing a lot of distress) or when the assessment from the previous year has been inaccurate. This is usually not the case though with Y2 assessments as they are moderated. Go and find out what the problem is.
Manana

Post by Manana »

Growingtofast wrote:Hi

I would like some general advice before I speak to the class teacher this afternoon. My daughters school report giving her optional sat results for year 3 shows that she has remained at level 2a in maths the same result she had in year 2.

Levels 2a and 3c represents achievement at the nationally expected standard for most pupils at the end of year 3, my concern is that she has not moved at all and is this something I should be worrying about.

The results for the school are very good this year according to the table we have been provided with so therefore 2a looks like she is under achieving with respect to her school year.

My main concerns are if she is behind compared to the rest of her class at the end of year 3 will this have an impact on year 4. She was receiving extra tuition from the school for about 4 weeks in the run up to the sats but this all seems to have stopped now which makes me think it was only offered to benefit the school tables and not my daughter :x

How best to help?

Any advice gratefully received thank you
Oh-I've just seen that's the test score, not the teacher assessment. Ask if the teacher assessment is different?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Good point Manana - could just have been an off-day in the test.

How as a primary teacher would you feel about showing the optional SATs script to the parent so that they can see where the child came unstuck "on the day"? It could be stuff that the child understands but just couldn't do under "test" conditions - it still tells you something. I always reckon that to play a piano piece well in a performance it has to be over-practiced under home conditions as generally under "performance" conditions it won't be quite as good as when relaxed at home.

Would you recommend a parent doing some gentle maths practice at home with a year 2/3 or year 3/4 child over the summer holiday? A book like "Level Up" for moving from level 2 to level 3 could be really good. Then the child will start the Autumn in Year 4 having a solid background in Level 3 material and ready to move on upwards during years 4 and 5. What do you think?
Growingtofast

Post by Growingtofast »

Thank you for your replies.

I had a chance yesterday to look through her work this year and paid particular attention to her maths books and there has been an improvement since March.

Her teacher mentioned that she has missed nearly 3 weeks of school due to hospital appointments and an operation. The operation resulted in 4 consecutive days off school and the rest of the time was a few days here and there however in total nearly 3 weeks. :shock: Unfortunatley the out-patient appointments were always on the same day of the week and roughly the same time resulting in her missing most of the foundation teaching for maths.

We have been given her completed maths books so that we can see in more detail the areas that she is finding difficult and we also have a copy of the year 3 curriculum.

My husband and I both agree that some gentle practice at home will be a good idea if only to build her confidence in a subject that she has told me she hates :(

I will look out for "Level Up" and would welcome any other suggestions for practice at home that will help her to love a subject that can be fun :lol:

Thank you again
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

I'm so pleased that your meeting was productive, growingtoofast. It sounds like you now have a clear idea of the problem and a strategy to solve it!:)
(PS I love your user name!!)
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yep I think you have a good plan. Also the fact that the school has pointed out to you the problems means that you can turn up next term with the work your DD did in the holiday and go "look what she can do now" and not seem like you are the world's craziest or pushiest Mum.

Good luck on the catch up.
Jules7

Post by Jules7 »

I am sure with a little spent time over the summer, your DD will come on in leaps and bounds in maths. Does she know her times tables well? My DD2 is in Y3 and they have been having times tables tests every week all year. What worked best for my DD was a times table app I downloaded onto my iphone (think it's called Ultimate times tables or something) - she would happily (well relatively happily) do 30 questions on that whilst we were waiting for DD1 for instance. There are also some other apps on telling the time and fractions I downloaded, but we have used these less.
Bromleymum1

Post by Bromleymum1 »

Hi Growingtofast

Found your thread interesting, as something similar happened to my daughter, although in year 4 and with English. I wondered how is your daughter doing now?