Lost our Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
New Appeal Parent

Lost our Appeal

Post by New Appeal Parent »

:(

We just heard that we lost our appeal. We are very upset. I just keep going back to the forum. We are not sure whether we should now ask for the clerk's notes as the reason for rejecting our appeal does not make sense as we thought we had such a strong case and hours and hours went in on our appeal statement. At the end of the day it seems a waste of time for everybody.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I would get the notes - it might put your mind at rest and clarify their reasoning.

If you are unhappy and think they overlooked something you can take it further ...
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi N.A.P.

I am so sorry to hear that you weren't successful. As someone who has also been on the receiving end of that result I sympathise very much.

Take a little time to let the dust settle and if you feel you need further advice please come back to us.

When I received our result, HP posted a saying of her father's to me:

"Cream will always rise to the top"

That will be so true of a child with loving parents such as you.

Kind regards
Sally-Anne

Post by Guest »

Dear New Appeal Parent

So ,so, so sorry to read your news.

I hope when you awaken this morning that you will feel more positive about the very unfavourable news of yesterday.

It will have drained you and your family so much to have spent so much time and effort on this appeal.

I hope you can find a way to go forward after this setback.There are others thinking of you here.

Keep strong.
Best wishes,

LBSWM
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

Hi, I sympathise, I know how you feel.

Take comfort somehow in that you have done all that you could. It does seem unfair, I heard this week of a boy winning his appeal at the school my son is desperate to go to who doesn't even want to go.... aggghhh the injustice.

Write to the school and ask to keep your child's name on their waiting list and when a place comes up again you should be able to go for it. My daughter is at GS and there are a few that come and go every year.....
Wiki

Post by Wiki »

You have my sincere sympathies - I have lost three (yes three) appeals this year, so I can feel your pain all too well.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Wiki

THREE! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Would you like to post a bit more about that? I thought I'd had a rough ride, but I've been in clover compared to you!

All agog ...

Sally-Anne

(N.A.P. - sorry to hijack your thread for a moment or two.)
New Appeal Parent

Hi Wiki

I am so sorry to hear that you had lost too (three!). We have got a feedback questionaire to complete for the customer focus which we will be completing and put our mind at rest. We are thinking of writing to the Head of the school whose appeal we lost as the head was the one who encouraged us to appeal as there are always places available, but LEA seem to have blocked it. I have found out today that there were 7% success this year compared to 77% and 66% previous two years. The majority of them are from our primary school. Our Primary school head was not notified of this outcome and she only found out from the parents.

We are in a mess at present :(
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi N.A.P.

It sounds as though it would be entirely reasonable to contact the Head. It may lead somewhere, or it may just put your minds at rest. Pursue it, but don't pin your hopes on it. I do hope it proves positive though.

Sally-Anne
New Appeal Parent

Hi Sally-Anne

Thanks for your advice (always). What prompts me to write to the Head is that everything that was disscussed at the appeal hearing contradicted with what the Head told us at the opening evening, his speech and also in his school prospectus. We will definately have to highlight what he said in his prospectus and what was said on the LEA's appeal statement. One thing the Head said to us is that it is not up to him to decide who is offered a place even outside the appeal period. The Heads are bound by the LEA's rules. LEA don't run the school!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now