12.5 Miles Catchment for Chelmsford/Colchester GS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pxjain

12.5 Miles Catchment for Chelmsford/Colchester GS

Post by pxjain »

Hi

Appologies, If this has been asked before. With the new rules about this 12.5 miles catchment for Chelmsford/Colchester (boys/girls) Grammar Schools, when will they check the adderss for within catchement - when they fill the CCSE forms, at the time of exams, on the admission day or on the 1st day at school.

One of my friend is planning to move to Chelmsford. His DD will be sitting in the 11+ exams in Sep 2013. So by when he needs to move to within the chelmsford catchment area.

Many thanks
mclm

Re: 12.5 Miles Catchment for Chelmsford/Colchester GS

Post by mclm »

Hi,

Firstly, the 12.5 mile rule only applies to Chelmsford schools at this point. Looking at the ChCHS admissions criteria on the Essex.gov.uk website, it is based on permanent residence at the time of LA application, which currently is end of October. However, if you move house during the admissions process (which I would have thought would be up to a suitable cut off prior to offer day on 1st March), you can provide evidence to the LA & I assume this means you will move to the 'in catchment' list.

Hope this helps. Might be worth giving the admissions team at Essex Council a call to clarify.
pxjain

Post by pxjain »

Thanks a lot.

So what we are saying is that you do not need to be resident within 12.5 miles radius of Chelmsford to sit in the 11Plus exams. But you need to be resident in Essex before you apply for Chelmsford boys/girls grammar school. Therefore, for acadmic year September 2014, you need to be resident within 12.5 miles radius of Chelmsford by October 2013, which will be the deadline for appling in Essex schools.

I will check with the CSSE for absolute certainity.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

This is from Chelmsford County High school's admission policy:

Demonstrating residence
Only one address can be used for application. In applying these admission
arrangements ‘permanent home address’ will be defined at the permanent place of
residence of the parent with whom the pupil spends the majority of the school week
(Sunday to Thursday nights inclusive) at the date of application. This address must
also normally be the address to which Child Benefit is paid. Permanent residency is
defined as owner occupancy or long-term letting contract of a residential property
where child benefit and occupied community charge is paid (evidence will be
required).
In the case of a recent change of address, additional evidence will be required in the
form of evidence of exchange of contracts or a signed tenancy agreement. This is in
addition to the child benefit statement and evidence of occupied community charge.
Families whose first home is outside the catchment area and/or who are only living
in short-term rented property (12 months or under) or temporarily with friends or
relatives in the area will not qualify to be considered as resident at that address.
Proof of residence can be requested at any time throughout the admissions process. If
it is subsequently discovered that an application contains a falsely claimed or dated
address, then any offer of a place will be withdrawn.
The student must be able to show to the school’s satisfaction that she has a right to
reside in the United Kingdom and is entitled to State Education. Overseas applicants
must hold a full British or EU passport.

Hope this helps.
pxjain

Post by pxjain »

Thanks

So this means that for admission in Sep 2014, the admission process starts in October 2013 and hence you must be resident at least an year from Oct 2013, i.e. by October 2012.

Does this make sense?
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

No I read it to mean that you must be resident by Oct 2013, but if you have only recently moved to that address then you may have to prove that this is a long term move rather than a temporary rent.
pxjain

Post by pxjain »

Minesatea wrote:No I read it to mean that you must be resident by Oct 2013, but if you have only recently moved to that address then you may have to prove that this is a long term move rather than a temporary rent.
Thanks for the clarification.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

You don't have to live within the 12.5 mile radius to apply to take the CSSE test for the Chelmsford schools; it just enormously improves your DC's chance of getting a place if you do...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
CardyMow

Post by CardyMow »

How does the Sunday to Thursday nights inclusive fare when faced with shared care? Shared care in my case is split on a 2-week timetable - My address in pink , his Dad's address in blue :

Week 1

Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday.

Week 2

Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday.

Over the 14 days of the fortnight, our son sleeps at my house 8 nights, and at his Dad's house for 6 nights. I have a residency order and claim the child benefit, as I am classed as the resident parent. What would this mean with regards to the Sunday to Thursday thing? I hope it doesn't come in for CRGS this year, or it could be a bit sticky deciding which address to apply from.
djy76

Post by djy76 »

The Admission policy quoted above has this in it:

This address must
also normally be the address to which Child Benefit is paid.

I would suggest you check out the admissions policy for KEGS as I believe the above refers to CCHS but I would imagine they will be similar
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now