Left Hander

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
countrymum

Left Hander

Post by countrymum »

Apologies about all the questions :roll: they keep popping in my head and coming here is always my first point of call.

Anyway my DD is left handed, I am RH just wondered if I should be giving any different tips for a left hander when doing the exam.

Thanks
jugglermum

Re: Left Hander

Post by jugglermum »

Hello!

I have no experience of being left handed.

But I imagine if your DD is lefthanded then her actual hand would be covering the answers as these are on the left when she is marking the answer boxes on the right hand side. Maybe more care would have to be taken to make sure she was marking the correct box?

I am sure that there is no evidence that left handers do any worse than right handers so as long as in her practise papers she is marking the box that she intended to I don't think it is a concern.

JM
vasu

Post by vasu »

My son is ambidextrous but after lot of discussion(in year 1) :roll: he decided left should be his writing hand. He never had any problems during the exam even when he does half his things with right hand.He is confused most times!!! Your dd should be ok.
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
copella

Post by copella »

Like the others my DS is left handed and apart from getting him a pen which doesn't smudge we did not do anything else. He seemed to cope, he has to at school and in other situations.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Thanks very much for your replies. I think I read on here about having the question/answer papers a certain way....shall have a hunt for the link.
Last edited by countrymum on Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Found it....

'In addition…if the child is right handed the answer sheet should be on their right, if left handed, on their left…..imagine [ for right handers]…..question booklet on left, left hand pointing to question, right hand with pencil, question attempted, left hand stays on booklet, right hand moves across to answer sheet, which is on their right….obviously vice versa for left handers…..

Makes perfect sense