MOCK EXAMS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mikeboz

MOCK EXAMS

Post by mikeboz »

Hi,
I have been looking at Mock entrance exams for children in the Trafford area and can only find expensive ones. Given that a set of papers from GL Assessment (formerly NFER) is £10 with the answer sheets provided - we should be able to get together and sort out a venue ourselves, undertake the tests in a similar manner to the way in which the tests are administered and mark them ourselves - for £20 total or less! The more that join in the cheaper it would be! I will order papers and arrange a venue without any desire to make money. An ideal date may be Saturday 1st September (just before the new term starts and entrance exams begin).
If interested - PM me and if we get at least 10 commitments - we should be able to manage a room hire and papers (which we mark ourselves) for £20.
mikeboz

Re: MOCK EXAMS

Post by mikeboz »

3 Trafford parents interested already - another 7 or so and we're up and running.
mikeboz

Post by mikeboz »

Interested parties now up to 6. Only a few more needed. The greater the number; the cheaper it will be!
We can tailor individual tests to those used by the different Grammar Schools, though the timings could be slightly different.
3 hours in which there are 3 x tests of 45 mins each, with a short toilet/drink break in between, followed by a 20 minute writing task(valuable for all even).

Any more interested parents/tutors; pm me!

Mike
gatleymum

Post by gatleymum »

Just a thought, but how will you make sure that the paper is not one that some kids have already done, or will each parent provide their own?
traffordite

Post by traffordite »

This sounds like a positive idea but as I've found out the marking is quite detailed. Will we know the raw score and the standardised score? Regarding the creative writing element, how are the topics selected? Can you tell me how you will do this and under what criteria will they be marked? Also, I believe certain schools use their own Maths and English test so how would they be made up and marked? Look forward to hearing from you.
Manana

Post by Manana »

gatleymum wrote:Just a thought, but how will you make sure that the paper is not one that some kids have already done, or will each parent provide their own?
Yes-you would have to write the exams yourselves as you won't know which papers the children have done. A friend of mine did this a few years back as no mocks were organised around here. She said it was an absolute nightmare. She spent hours researching past papers to create her own VR one, had to choose an English text and write comprehension questions on it and the same for maths (it might be different in your area), had to pay to hire a small church hall, spent hours and a fortune on ink photocopying the papers, ages marking them and then a day writing marks/rankings for the parents. I think she was very out of pocket by the end!

Price it up before you rush into it-it might be cheaper to do a paid mock!!
gatleymum

Post by gatleymum »

Or you could just state in advance that it would be say pack 2 tests 8 and then people could keep that paper from their kids..?
mikeboz

Post by mikeboz »

As far as I am aware GL produce 8 x variety packs of tests, so parents/carers could decide which ones to order for their child; they do not have to be the same really. Either that, or we could circulate a spreadsheet of the 8 variety packs and find one that has not been completed by all.

Where there's a will - there's a way.

Now up to eight; so another two interested parties and we can start the arrangements.
traffordite

Post by traffordite »

The GL packs don't seem to cater for the creative writing element or the instances when the schools use their own Maths or English test. Can you answer the issues raised in my earlier comment of 10th July, in respect of marking the tests? I feel the GL assessment packs don't fully address all aspects of the entrance tests. In particular, the topics for the creative writing test need careful thought and precise marking against correct criteria. Also, to calculate the raw score is not adequately informative. The standardised score needs to be ascertained.
JennyJack

Post by JennyJack »

Good idea! Creative writting is only used if the score are tied.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now