iPads and notebooks/laptops

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bromley mum

iPads and notebooks/laptops

Post by bromley mum »

Can anyone list the pros and cons of going for any of the above? I take my laptop along to meetings, having downloaded papers I need before hand. But laptops (or atleast mine) are a bit big and cumbersome. Have thought about ipads but the fact that there isn't word processing capability on it (or is there) puts me off. Any thoughts?
daveg

Re: iPads and notebooks/laptops

Post by daveg »

bromley mum wrote:Can anyone list the pros and cons of going for any of the above? I take my laptop along to meetings, having downloaded papers I need before hand. But laptops (or atleast mine) are a bit big and cumbersome. Have thought about ipads but the fact that there isn't word processing capability on it (or is there) puts me off. Any thoughts?
A slightly cut-down version of Apple's Pages is available for it. It's excellent. Compatibility with Word is good.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

iPads are great for demonstrating pictures, researching information quickly, and are light and convenient. They 're also good for making notes etc.

Laptops/notepads are better if you regularly want to input and process info. My husband has both. He prefers his notepad, and only uses the iPad to show illustrations, diagrams etc. in the evening I can be found looking at EPE on it?...
Amber

Post by Amber »

My iPad regularly travels up and down to London with me for my course...I use it to access the library catalogue, send emails and read my set texts. There is a great APP called Good Reader which allows you to annotate articles etc with highlighter, notes etc just like a paper copy, and without it I would be weighed down with papers. I use the notes APP to make notes of books I need to get, but I don't tend to use word processing as such, though I do have Pages (iWork) on it so can access documents I have written and I do sometimes make minor changes..it's not that you can't do it, just I prefer my iMac for that. I am on EPE with it now. :)

I would say if your primary requirement is word processing, get a laptop. But for everything else, this is the business.
doodles

Post by doodles »

All four of us have Acer Aspire notebooks (bit embarrassing to admit that there are four in one house but I've only just got mine and it is a revolting bubblegum pink but it does mean that nobody else uses it!!!!!) and they are excellent. It has Word, Excell and Powerpoint on it. Just the right size, slightly smaller than an A4 piece of paper, good screen size and keyboard but easy to carry about, in fact it will fit into a largish handbag if you really wanted to take it out.

Would definately look at notebooks, they have come a long way recently.
Amber

Post by Amber »

We have a Samsung netbook which was given to the children as a present. It is the most useless piece of kit ever to enter the house and I would caution most strongly against the purchase of one.

Even as I type this, I know the Union of Samsung Netbook Defenders will be lining up. Free to good home, if you can collect. :lol:
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

I have a netbook but I hardly ever use it because the wireless internet connection is just too slow. Unless anyone can tell me that there's a bit of kit out there that will make it faster. I've just been given an ipad for my birthday but haven't had time to properly investigate it yet.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
doodles

Post by doodles »

My broadband connection on the Acer Aspire One is absolutely fine, in fact there's no difference between it and DH's high spec work laptop and it's a lot faster than the old laptop we had.

Tried an ipad and really don't like it, I find it much easier to type on the netbook and everything on the ipad seemed to keep "slipping away".
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Doodles, I have an acer aspire too. Unless it's right next to the wireless thingy, it's very slow. Do you plug yours into the broadband? I was hoping for something I could travel around with, which was why I bought the netbook in the first place
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
doodles

Post by doodles »

No mine is completely wireless and is absolutely fine, I can also wireless print from anywhere in the house. Could it be your hub? BT recently changed ours and the connection is so much better since then. We are is a really slow area (less than 1mb) as we are about as far away from an exchange as it is possible to be.