which board sets the exam in bexley

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
traceyanne

which board sets the exam in bexley

Post by traceyanne »

Which board sets the exam in bexley? Is it Bond or one of the others. I am trying to work out which papers to practice with.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There is a thread Bexley 11+ on page 3 of the section - I think the information you need might be there - do also check with your LA.

Post by Guest »

Not 100% sure but I don't think it's Bond. My daughter definitely found the Kent tests easier than the Bexley ones. However the Bexley tests are sat in November and the kent ones in January. Don't know if this really makes a difference but she was definitely more relaxed and prepared by January. I think the tests are set by different boards. Nelson definitely sets some of them, just not sure which. Just felt by getting more papers from different bodies would benefit my daughter.
Bexley

Post by Bexley »

They're set by NFER. 4 papers, all muliple choice - english, maths,verbal and non- verbal. The scores are standardised and added together to give an aggregate score, so it is possible to be slightly weaker on one paper and still be 'selective'.

Post by Guest »

If you're a complete novice like I was that's nfer nelson. You can buy the complete papers in WH Smith.

Post by Guest »

Bexley wrote:They're set by NFER. 4 papers, all muliple choice - english, maths,verbal and non- verbal. The scores are standardised and added together to give an aggregate score, so it is possible to be slightly weaker on one paper and still be 'selective'.

And boy do I wish my son sat a Bexley test, he achieved an aggregate score of 368 which would of meant him walking into a Grammar, but instead he sat a Kent test and has even failed on appeal and now looking at a poor, underachieving Comp.
bexley mum

bexley test

Post by bexley mum »

does this mean the Bexley test is easier than others?
Bexley

Re: bexley test

Post by Bexley »

bexley mum wrote:does this mean the Bexley test is easier than others?
I'm not sure how it compares to other areas, although it is set by NFER Nelson who set in lots of areas, so it is likely to be similar, I would have thought.

I think what the 'guest' was talking about was the way the marks are used to decide if a child is selective or not. In his area, it looks as if each of the 3 papers his son sat have a pass mark , and you need a pass in all 3 to get a grammar school place, so you need to be strong in all the areas tested.

Bexley set 4 papers, but total the 4 standardised scores to give one total aggregate mark. In theory it is possible to be weaker in one paper, but still get a selective place if you score highly in the other three as these scores would counter out a 'poorer' one.

Even if the 11+ is easier in one area though, it would just mean the pass mark would be higher as the number of selective places available would still be the same.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now