Percentage offered their highest preference school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Dad40

Percentage offered their highest preference school

Post by Dad40 »

Some interesting numbers of selected children (for Sept 2006 entry) who were offered their highest preference grammar school and also non-selected children who were offered their highest preference upper school. Broken down by school……

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/cabinet_paper ... item4c.pdf

Overall percentages were recently confirmed in Appendix 1 of this document:

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/cabinet_paper ... _item4.pdf

Quote from the more recent document:

“98% of grammar qualified Buckinghamshire resident children got their first preference catchment school, 97% of upper qualified children got their first preference catchment school.

These percentages success rates include late applications considered in the first round, the % rates would be even higher if these were excluded.

Overall, 86% (upper) and 96% (Grammar) highest preference applications were successful in the first round (includes out of catchment preferences)”

That seems very high and I wonder why BucksCC aren't shouting it from the rooftops.

Or have I seriously mis-read something ?!
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Dad40

The 2007 figures were orignally issued in March...See following link and discussion..

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=2203

Patricia
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

I don't think they were.

I went through that thread and noticed the information BucksCC released only ever gave stats about parents who got ONE of their SIX choices......which, as some said at the time, frankly didn't tell us much.

My links appear to tell us what we REALLY wanted to know.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Dad40

Oh yes they were issued in March!

Your link is more up to date and yes a far more interesting breakdown...thankyou for posting it

Patricia
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

I meant that the interesting stuff that we wanted to see wasn't published in March.

I don't understand why not though, because that detailed table on one of my links was clearly knocking around BucksCC back in Autumn......
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

I must re-iterate that the linked documents are for September 2006 entry as stated in my first post, not 2007.

The reasons I think they are noteworthy are that:

- some interim detail (i.e. the situation as of June 2006) has clearly been available in Bucks CC since October and the high level final figures were only confirmed a few weeks ago (the second document). The high level final figures match the high level interim figures.

- the forum discussion in March (the one Patricia referred to) implied to me that BucksCC have not published this kind of detail before; at least not in the last few years.

- the detail I'm refering to in the first document is the data showing what percentage of applicants who listed a particular school as their highest ranked choice were actually offered a place at that school. This data also accounts for the selection process i.e. it classes a non-selected student's highest preference as their highest upper school preference. The figures are therefore not distorted.......which makes them rather interesting.

Hope that's clearer

Post by Guest »

Hi Dad40, have looked at your link (thank you) but not sure if im reading it right. Im interested the the figures for Burnham Grammar - am i right in thinking that they have 150 places but only 120 took places which is how you get the 20% of unfilled places? If that the case im even more perplexed as BGS this current year & have only 99 on their roll!!!

Thanks

Pooky
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes I noted that too - some of the other figures are incorrect too according to the information I was told and passed on to Sally-Anne for 12+

Perhaps some people did not take up places or moved?
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

Guest and Guest55,

In both cases, it is possibly because the detailed figures are interim figures (i.e. as of June 2006, before allocation was finalised).

But the high level figures evidently did not change much in the final allocation - 86% of non-selected pupils offered highest pref upper school and 96% of selected pupils offered highest grammar school pref.

Or are you (Guest55) also doubting whether the high level figures are correct?
Hilda

Post by Hilda »

The annex document mentioned at the start of this thread includes qualification rates for the 11 + for 2007. I presume this means percentage pass of 11+ exam. The breakdown is by school typ. Some of the categories of school mentioned are Partner schools, e.g. Partner Wycombe. Does anyone know what this means? They seem to have much higher qualification rates than the other schools.