Bond maths 2: Test 1

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Hera

Bond maths 2: Test 1

Post by Hera »

Is there any reason why you could not give an answer for a shape as a circular prism instead of the answer of a cylinder that is given in the bond answers?

And also is there any reason why you could not give the answer of a triangle-based pyramid when the answer given in the bond answers is a tetrahedron?

I am sure there isn't but I am doubting myself :?
mystery

Re: Bond maths 2: Test 1

Post by mystery »

Don't have the papers - can you give us the exact question wording and the list of multi-choice answers?
Hera

Post by Hera »

mystery wrote:Don't have the papers - can you give us the exact question wording and the list of multi-choice answers?
Thanks for your reply. I will do that, although my question was more are the terms circular prism and cylinder interchangeable and are the names triangle-based pyramid and tetrahedron interchangeable.

I accept that the Bond answers are correct but I also think that DS's answers are too! Questions below - I have the standard format so no multiple choice.

Question 15:
What 3D net is this the shape of. It is a rectangle with a small circle on each of the short sides. I accept the bond answer, cylinder is correct; but wouldn't it be equally correct to call it a circular prism?

Question 35:
Read the following statement.
"It is a pyramid with a triangular base and a further three triangular faces."
Which shape is being described here?
Again I accept the bond answer of a tetrehedron, but wouldn't it be equally correct to use the term triangle-based pyramid?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I reckon most children would know the term cylinder rather than circular prism, I've never heard that term used in primary school
Hera

Post by Hera »

Thank you, but he wouldn't get the answers wrong would he? That is what he has been taught and that is what he insists he should put now and in the future? :roll:
mystery

Post by mystery »

His answer seems right to me. It all depends on who is marking it. I would mark it correct. A primary teacher who just goes by the way it is quite often presented in kS1/2 maths texts might mark it wrong, even though it is not.

Which exam are you preparing for? The problem would be if both correct answers showed up in a multi-choice paper. Hopefully that would never happen as 11 plus examiners should be reasonably knowledgeable ...........

Agree on the pyramid versus tetrahedron thing too.

There are lots of 3d objects which are also a type of prism.