Southend's alternatives?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Manana

Southend's alternatives?

Post by Manana »

Is anyone else on here in Southend and is wondering about alternatives should their child not pass the 11+? I feel those living in Rayleigh/Rochford/Hockley/Benfleet etc are at a slight advantage as they are not only in the priority zone for the Southend grammars, but also have great alternatives (so will have to move to Rayleigh for my next child!!).

Our catchment school is Chase.

We like Eastwood but have been told by the deputy head at their open evening that they are turning away lots of children in catchment, so that seems out, too.

Cecil Jones is a bit of a trek-and they have only just come out of special measures (though that is clearly a positive).

Belfairs has altered it's catchment and I know of several girls 'in catchment' this year who haven't got a place and we are miles away from there.

King John is great but even further away.

Tommy Mores is good, but we aren't Catholic or even practising Christians.

Shoebury High is miles away

King Edmunds don't have *that* great results and are miles away and have an early start!

Greensward have funny terms and are miles away.

No pressure there, DS...

Have I missed any!?
School daze mum

Re: Southend's alternatives?

Post by School daze mum »

Hey M, I am in exactly the same posistion! I don't think alot of her friends will be going from her school westborough- apparently Chase is really improving :?: :| . what school does your child go to??
Chai

Post by Chai »

What about The Deanes School? That is in Thundersley, Benfleet. If you are considering King John, then maybe also include this school? Good luck!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Obviously DD hasn't actually started there yet, but so far we have been impressed with Cecil Jones. Certainly, yesterday morning's unifom session was very slick, the fastest I have been relieved of as much as £93 in a long time - 8 minutes start to finish, including trying on :shock:

It is not exactly the easiest bus journey from our neck of the woods, but if your catchment school is Chase, are you anywhere near the 29 bus route? This serves both the Lower and Upper School sites. We are quite a long walk from the nearest 29 stop so DD is going to get one of our more local buses and pick it up in Southend; our alternative for the Upper site is the 27 (yes, sad as it may seem, trotting along to the Travel Centre to pick up a selection of bus timetables was almost the first thing I did when DD and Cecil Jones found themselves being landed upon each other back in March).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Manana

Post by Manana »

Thank you, everyone. I had pretty much counted out Deanes as it really is quite a trek from us and I have a couple of friends with boys there (now in Y10/11) who have been very unhappy there.

Cecil is an option and he could get the bus there, but their results aren't brilliant which has put me off. I know as a teacher that league tables aren't all they are cracked up to be, but I think getting 5 a-c at GCSE-including maths and english, not counting any equivalents is pretty important.

Looking at this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/educa ... m?compare=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cecil have got 31% which wasn't great, plus their value added wasn't good either. Having said that, it's better than Chase-at 14%!

It's not an easy decision to make...!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now