tutor in Sevenoaks area

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

GPmum

tutor in Sevenoaks area

Post by GPmum »

Thinking ahead to DS - currently in Y3, so 11+ seems way ahead. (DD currently sitting exam this September)

DS seems to be a lot brighter than DD and Maths is particularly a strong point for him. Wondering if it is worthwhile getting some tutoring during Year 4, perhaps every fortnight (or less often), to encourage him to reach full potential? The state system does not seem to make allowances for those DC who may be ahead in their year group, so I feel sometimes he is getting bored!

Views anyone?
Anyone recommend a tutoring the Sevenoaks area??? :?:
scarlett

Re: tutor in Sevenoaks area

Post by scarlett »

My DD is in year 3 also, Gpmum ( see you back here in a couple of years ! ) and she quite likes the 11 plus Bond books ( for her age group ) ..I think she likes beating poor DS2 in the percentage stakes , but she's a bit competitive . I don't know of any tutors, but if he's bright maybe online maths games / workbooks will be enough ? You don't want him fed up with it all just in time for the 11 plus...aargh !
GPmum

Post by GPmum »

Hello again Scarlett - thanks for the advice! I guess you may be right, don't want them getting fed up before even starting Year5!! My DD would certainly say that it's been hard just working toward 11+ for this year!!

Will be speaking to you a lot then over the next few years!!!!! :wink:
pp1

Post by pp1 »

Hi GP Mum!

I am an 11+ tutor in the Sevenoaks area (and also have DD in Yr 2 and DS in R). I know I am doing myself out of work writing this ;-) but I would honestly say if you are thinking of going down the tutoring route, then don't even think about it until they the start of Yr 5. As Scarlett says, the last thing you want to do is to turn them off or make them anxious before then. There are lots of things you can do with them now to encourage them, like play games of scrabble, bingo, boggle (either online or with the family - I always find that learning whilst having fun is always preferable!), anything fun really that helps them to learn, sharpens their mental skills etc. Also it helps a great deal to encourage them to read, perhaps books outside of their usual comfort zone to develop vocabularly required for the VR test. I know the local libraries are running their fantastic Summer Reading Challenge (I believe it starts this week) to encourage children to visit their local library. I hope some of this advice helps!!
GPmum

Post by GPmum »

Thanks PP1!

Very sound advice - even better coming from a tutor!!
Am sure you are right. I'm going to need a year in between DC anyway - far too stressful!