New to the 11 plus

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
patsy

New to the 11 plus

Post by patsy »

[Looking for some guidance as this seems to be a minefield!!!

My daughter will be taking the 11 plus in Kent (NFER multiple choice). I have been told this will be in January 2008. We currently live in Essex and will be moving to Kent in 8 to 12 weeks. I plan to let my daughter complete year 6 in her current primary school.

As she has had no experience (Essex does not tutor for the 11 plus ) I’m anxious to get going with some tutoring. Can anyone suggest the best place to start and recommend any tutors?

Any help and suggestions will be welcome…
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Patsy

It is against forum rules for tutors to be advertised.

Unfortunately I cannot help you. However I am sure there will be many posters who will be able to point you in the right direction of DIY.

Have a good look through the Kent section, it is a wealth of information, then start asking questions, there is always someone willing to help.

I wish every success.

Patricia
patsy

Post by patsy »

Sorry didn’t realise!!

Thanks for the reply though, I have started looking through the Kent forum and finding it very useful.

Thanks

Post by Guest »

Patsy,
Kent schools (state anyway) aren't allowed to prepare children for the eleven plus. They will sit practice tests the week before the real thing but that's the lot. Don't worry about missing out by being in Essex for the rest of year 5!

Despite the impression you might get from this forum, most parents in Kent do not have their children tutored. Most of the successful ones will, however, have done some practice at home. I think that it is easier to get a grammar place in Kent than in Essex as there are more of them. In most areas, therefore, the pressure is lower.

If you want a tutor do you know anyone in the area to which you are moving who could ask around for recommendations? If not then you might pick up adverts in the local press. Depending on where you are, the Wealden Advertiser (free, weekly) or the Kent Messenger (weekly) might help. In our area I think that good tutors tend to book up a couple of years in advance, although I never tried to find one myself. Maybe other areas are a bit easier. If you say roughly where you are going to be someone might be able to help- Kent's a big county.
patsy

Post by patsy »

Thanks

That has put me a little at ease, as I had visions of children in Kent being tutored for 2 years or more.

We are moving to North West Kent. Without yet having visited the schools (so this is not yet decided) we would be applying for Dartford Grammar for Girls, Gravesend Grammar for Girls and Wilmington. My daughter does well at school although and is expected to achieve level 4, in the mock SATS (year 5) she has just sat.

Having read some postings on this forum I think I will do a mix of tutoring. Now trying to work out the best material to use. Any ideas?
guestmum

Post by guestmum »

we started with bond and moved onto NFER - starting with standard papers and then moving on to multiple choice. It worked for us!! Hope this helps.
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

patsy wrote:Thanks

That has put me a little at ease, as I had visions of children in Kent being tutored for 2 years or more.
For us folk here in West Kent that is more the reality! A few of the schools in Tonbridge/Tunbridge Wells end up taking such high pass marks, that most children I know have been tutored, whether from the state or independent sector. I have lost count at the number of people I passed our tutor's number to. - although the tutoring was generally for 6 months.

Our state primary's Headteacher gave weekly sessions of practice papers over the 6 weeks leading up to the exam - even though there were only 6 pupils! However, I know the Head is not keen on this but it appears to be the norm in this part of Kent.

Anyway, enjoy your move to Kent!
Bexley

Post by Bexley »

You can opt to take the Bexley eleven plus too if you like. Your daughter may not want too, but just thought I'd mention it incase you weren't aware that you had the option. :)
patsy

Post by patsy »

How do the children cope with all this pressure!!!

I’m really trying to be relaxed about this, but at the same time I want my daughter to understand the importance of passing the 11 plus. I have explained that this will gain her a place in our preferred school. I only hope that if for any reason she goes to a comp she doesn’t see it as a failure. :?

Post by Guest »

I only hope that if for any reason she goes to a comp she doesn’t see it as a failure.
She should not - if that were to happen she would be in the company of the majority, something like 75%! By the way, in Kent, although they are often referred to as a "comp" , the non-grammar alternative would actually be a Secondary Modern. Unless that is you have a church school option as back-up, or you are moving to an area of Kent which doesn't have grammar schools (there are pockets). Good luck!