What % of questions correct to pass for boys grammar?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

DebP

What % of questions correct to pass for boys grammar?

Post by DebP »

Hello
I am new to the board.
We are moving to Glos within the next 12 months and I intend for my son to take 11+ this oct and hopefully get into one of the Glos boys GS in Sept2013. St THomas or Crypt.
I am wondering what is the lowest/ minimum pass?
I understand it is complicated, based on the results of every one else.

But for example is 55%-65% of questions correct likely to get a place or does he need to be getting at least 75%?

So when I see kids get a place with a score of 210, 215, 210, approx what does that mean in terms of correct questions on the papers?

Thanks.
I have another question about the process, which I will post separately.

PS If anyone is moving to Kent I can tell you lots about 11+ in our area!
Deb x
mum23*

Re: What % of questions correct to pass for boys grammar?

Post by mum23* »

Hi Deb
Welcome to the Gloucestershire board :D
The general info for Gloucester schools is at the top and I am sure you have checked that out. I guess you are wondering what your DS should be getting on his practice papers?

It's not easy to say exactly what your DS needs to get for a place at Crypt or Sir Thomas Rich's. If you are already preparing and have done some VR papers, which ones are they? Some are easier than others so the kind of score you need to aim for will be different eg you should be looking at a very high % for AFN but lower for Walsh papers.

As a ball park figure I would say that you need to be getting at leat 75% + minimum and 85% + to be more confident on, say, the GL assessment papers. Obviously you could be still building up to that for Oct. (Other people please chip in if you think I am not right on those %)

It might not still be the case as Crypt has been gaining an excellent reputation but historically it has been harder to get a place at Tommies (STRS) than Crypt so this would mean you would need a higher score to pass for STRS.

Anything can happen on the day so scores on practice papers may not be a prediction. Definitely aim for enough speed to finish the papers, look at exam day tips (there have been good threads on Gloucester board so look back to around the last exam day also Patricia has good tips for speed).
Apparently there is a mock exam for Gloucester on 11th August (private company though, not run by the schools) I have never used this so can't say if it is worth it.

Good luck!
DebP

Post by DebP »

Thanks for info.

Yes I want to know what he should be getting on practice papers.
Yes I have read the schools websites and loads of stuff on this website - so my head is swimming!

We are in Kent and have been working towards Kent test - I am confident he will pass this and get a place in our local Kent GS but Glos is very different.
eg. Here the 11+ includes NVR and a maths test as well as VR. He is stronger in those and could well get 90% ish on any paper.

VR is by far his weekness and so I think Pates is out of the question, also I don't think he could cope with the work at Pates. He is bright but possibly not in that top elite. I would expect him to be able get on fine in the boys GSs.
Actually, he has been seeing a private tutor for about 9 months 1 hour a week + home work on VR. So I have left it to her and I am not sure how he would score on the different types of tests you mention.

I will get him to sit some tests at home over this week to find out.

I have just printed off the VR tests from the Pates website if you know what % correct of these I should be looking for.

Deb
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

Deb
The Pates questions are quite helpful to try but probably a more helpful set would be GL assessment papers, Bright Sparks or The Tutors Level 3 papers which you can buy or download from the shop on this site. My DS did the Tutors Level 3 short 15 mins papers last summer and I got the Level 4 ones which were quite hard. Why not ask his tutor about your DS VR scores? What VR papers has the tutor given your DS to do for homework? If you can post this I could probably say what sort of score would be needed.

Remember the test here is 2 VR papers both multi choice with one slightly harder (the first paper last year!)

I would ask your tutor how DS is doing and get her to give you some papers to try timed if she hasn't done this already. She should know how your DS is doing with VR after 9 months tuition and could give you an idea of the question types that are strongest and weakest. Probably the main thing you can do to help is vocabulary work - opposites, close in meaning, definitions, make lists of trees, rivers, animal names male/female/baby, animal homes, flowers, jobs and hobbies (proper titles eg architect, campanologist etc) also play scrabble, boggle or try synonym toast, free rice or reading eggspress online.
and check times tables are fast.
DebP

Post by DebP »

Thanks.
DS has come on in leaps over the past year in VR and he is predicted to easily pass the Kent 11+ Test But the pass mark is low, little over 50% secures a pass and our local "outstanding" GS only requires a basic pass then allocates by distance.

But the gloucester 11+ is more of a competition with higher standards.
I will discuss it with the tutor and fortunately there is still time to step up the pace if necessary.
And I will set him some of those tests timed at home.
I will let you know.
Thanks for your help.

Deb
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

Sounds like he will do fine. If you know he is definitely doing the Gloucester test then he can drop the NVR and the separate maths papers and just work on VR using the multi choice format. Don't panic if he is getting some questions wrong. DS passed for STRS and I just looked back at some old papers..he was getting around 80 out of 85 for some.
Orson

Post by Orson »

Of course all sorts of different things affect the pass mark but 70% is a good benchmark. This is likely to secure a place at Crypt and Ribston. A little more for Marling, more again for SHS, STRS and HSfG and then you have Pates out on its own above them all.

Practice papers vary in difficulty so it's impossible to gauge. GL Assessment 1-4 - strangely they get easier so I advise doing them in reverse order. 4 - approx 80% to 1 - low/mid 70's for a pass. 5-8 - high 60s/70% for a pass. Whether a pass secures a place depends on the school.