Any good private sixth forms near Surbiton?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

geling

Any good private sixth forms near Surbiton?

Post by geling »

Hi all

I would be very grateful if anyone could give me the clues if there is any nice SIXTH FORMS near Surbiton, Kingston, Esher, Epsom, Richmond, Teddington, ect? Any suggestion are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Best

geling
menagerie

Re: Any good PRIVATE SIXth FORMS near Surbiton?

Post by menagerie »

There are absolutely loads of excellent private schools with sixth form entry in the areas you've listed. Is it for girls or boys? Highly academic or mainstream? Any specialities important (sports, music, languages, science, art or maths?)

Tell us more about what you are looking for.

I don't know of any exclusively 6th form colleges that are private though some may exist, as may some crammers.
geling

Post by geling »

Hi, dear menagerie; you saved me! Thanks for your reply. Ok, I mean: private only; for boys ( but mixed 6th forms are OK); maybe sports specilities; not very acedemic. Must have a good train or bus links from Surbiton or Kingston areas. Any suggestions appreciated.

Best

geling
la boume

Post by la boume »

Reeds, City of London Freemans, Hall School in Wimbledon?
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Surbiton to Oxshott for Reeds school is about 20 mins on the train plus a 10 minute walk through the woods to the school at the other end (lots of boys do the walk, so there isn't a safety issue.)

Reeds is a fabulous school. It caters for academic and less academic boys. The 6th form is mixed. It has superb grounds and sporting facilities, first rate pastoral care. What I love about it, is they work out what your child enjoys and encourage excellence in that area - whether it's academic or not. they seem far less hung up on league tables and far more focused on producing happy, confident boys who succeed in their own sphere.

Friends have sons at Claremont in Esher - a bus ride from Kingston or Surbiton, again, under 30 mins. It's a bit controversial - owned by Christian scientists though they do not preach their beliefs within the school. The grounds are out of this world. The school is the previous country retreat of Queen Victoria. The children I know at the secondary school there (it also has a primary) are really lovely, happy, confident and sociable people. The school is mixed from the outset. It is a great school for less academic children to feel nurtured, from what I gather.
la boume

Post by la boume »

There is a school bus to Reeds, which goes through Kingston. Someone's I know son choose to go to Esher college from Reeds. As parent's put it, "they wanted to encourage independence".
Also Ibstock Place is a popular choice here in Kingston for not so academic ones. And Halliford School in Shepperton.
geling

Post by geling »

menagerie and la boume

Thanks very much for the information you have given me and they are very helpful indeed.

Best regards

geling