Is anyone else only home tutoring for Tiffins?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Smile4

Is anyone else only home tutoring for Tiffins?

Post by Smile4 »

Hello all, This is my first post so please be kind! DS is currently studying (well, as much as you can for Tiffins) for his exam in September.

He is very driven and is determined to give this his best shot, but he understands that the competition is tough. I've looked on the site and bought some papers, VR and NVR books - all the information has been very helpful, so thank you. DS is doing much of the study himself - a little bit after school each night - absolutely no pressure from me, only support.

I have two questions really:

1. Is anyone else DIY? How are you getting on? What sort of practice are you doing now and in the lead up to the exam? I'm concerned I'm not doing right by him, but he's adament that he's getting it and is scoring fairly highly at 90% of most of his test papers (I've used GL - hope that's good enough).

2. DS is the youngest in his year. He is still only 9 and will have only just turned 10 by the end of August. I believe Tiffins use standardised scoring. Does anyone know anything more about it and how might it help him?

Thank you and good luck to everyone.
Last edited by Smile4 on Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scoopy19

Re: Is anyone else only home tutoring for Tiffins?

Post by Scoopy19 »

Smile4 can't offer any comment on tutoring but how sad that you felt that you had to state that you are a NK resident in the first line of the thread!

It's quite an indictment of this forum sadly.
Smile4

Post by Smile4 »

OK, thanks for your reply anyway.

Just wanted to talk to DIY parents in the same situation.

I'll see if there's any way of removing it.

Edit: There, think I've done it.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

It sounds like you've got the balance brilliantly and very impressive that your DS is self-motivated and hard working. It allows you the space to be really supportive (supported by all us on here, of course :D ) when he's a bit tired/ low.

If you search for Jaysdarlin posts using the search facility above, you will find lots of discussions by her on such things as materials and scores etc. She also home tutors: two already at Tiffin, one sitting this year (I think).

Good Luck! :D
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
Scoopy19

Post by Scoopy19 »

Smile4 I wasn't getting at you but merely pointing out that you have noticed the tension on the site regarding distance and obviously felt that by mentioning this fact you may get more responses/an easier ride.

This is not a reflection on you but the current vibe on the forum.

I actually think that the NK residents are a pretty fair bunch and would give you tutoring advice regardless of where you live!

Please don't remove it as it doesn't offend me in any way.

Scoopy19
Smile4

Post by Smile4 »

Thanks both. I shall run a search on Jaysdarlin to see what I can find.

If anyone has any thoughts on the standardised scoring, I'd love to hear them.

Yes, I did get an flavour of the tension, but I really didn't mention it for any malicious reason.

Because we are local residents, Tiffins is the only selective school DS would consider going to, which is why I mentioned it. I can't afford KGS and for us (and this is no reflection on anyone else) a one hour journey is too much.

Failing that he'll go to the local comp (GC). I'm sure he'll do well wherever he goes.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Hi, Smile4

Some info on standardization is on this very forum.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advice ... xplanation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is link at end of that webpage, where you can read more on NFER site.

We are doing DIY mostly. We did DIY in the begining, then had a tutor (peer pressure), then now again on DIY. Last month, DC sat for Sutton mocks. Additionally, we plan to take 2 mock tests. I will pm you if you want more details.

By now, I think you would have already covered for VR/NVR techniques and practice.

For VR, we followed Patricia's advise. I will search and post the link to you. It is the sticky post on Bucks forum. Very useful advice.
For NVR, we did Bond assessment books upto 5, followed by AE and Learning together and now would go to GL test papers from early August.

I know most children go to tutors. If tutor is good then that is helpful, otherwise it is like expensive babysitting. However, you do get an idea about peer performance and some competitive spirit.

In our experience, we found DIY more useful. As your child is bright and self-motivated, I am sure he will sail through. Good luck.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
Smile4

Post by Smile4 »

Lovely, thank you very much, Tiffinboys. I'd like to receive info about the mock tests if you wouldn't mind sending it on. The very thought of a mock test makes me nervous!

The search function seems very slow so I will look for Jaysdarlin this evening.

tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Yes it makes me nervous too; but mocks helps in getting over the exam nerves. Will pm details to you.

Patricia's very useful tips on DIY for VR

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =12&t=4782" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
Smile4

Post by Smile4 »

Thanks for the link. Mocks are now booked, although DS isn't happy as he doesn't feel ready. I hope it's just nerves.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now