Now off to the Lake District !!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Can anyone advise on weather conditions up in the North ? Camping again there next weekend, some of my rather pathetic family we are supposed to be meeting are thinking of pulling out :shock: due to adverse weather over the past few weeks.....I'm hoping someone might have been there (or lives there - do they have GS in Cumbria?) and be able to say, it has been the driest April - June on record, or anything that gives me hope ? :lol:

Thanks
hermanmunster

Re: Now off to the Lake District !!

Post by hermanmunster »

Dales are wet. (and very green) .. Lakes likely to be wetter but have heard weekend might be drier.

Tryhttp://www.raintoday.co.uk
Looking for help

Thank you, Herman.....that fills me with hope.....not :shock:

The 10 day forecast for Surrey is actually very good.....perhaps we should stay here instead :D
Growingtofast

Post by Growingtofast »

Can't help with weather and conditions however I do know if the weather has been similar to South East it will be very soft and muddy underfoot.

I had to rescue my son from a scout camp in East Grinstead last weekend. It was a bit muddy when we dropped him off last Friday, however they had a thunderstorm on Saturday afternoon and the field could take no more it was totally saturated as the surface water had no where to go.

Just a thought how about contacting the camp site and ask them what it is like at the moment if the site is good at absorbing surface water it might not be that bad. I don't mind the odd wet day when camping but if the ground conditions are poor it seriously is not fun, Glastonbury springs to mind :(

We are supposed to be camping in Wales in a weeks time and I'm seriously thinking about not bothering. Hope whatever you decided to do you have some quality time with your family and a well deserved rest :D
marigold

Post by marigold »

I have heard from many sources that the Jet Stream will be moving this weekend and that from Sunday we should be expecting near Sub Saharan temperatures, even in Cumbria. The Daily express says 95degrees, apparently . If this is not true then I will be locking myself in the garage with a wine box and not coming out until September.

I am sure you will have a lovely time, even if damp. We are going to Norway in the middle of August , just as the Jet Stream reaches there no doubt. Perhaps we should start a ''How wet was your holiday ? " thread in September.
Looking for help

marigold wrote: Perhaps we should start a ''How wet was your holiday ? " thread in September.
Prize will go to me, as not getting out of the UK at all this year. :(
Growingtofast wrote: Just a thought how about contacting the camp site and ask them what it is like at the moment if the site is good at absorbing surface water it might not be that bad. I don't mind the odd wet day when camping but if the ground conditions are poor it seriously is not fun, Glastonbury springs to mind :(
Funnily enough, they have agreed it is all good, not sure what to make of that though :o
Growingtofast wrote:We are supposed to be camping in Wales in a weeks time and I'm seriously thinking about not bothering. Hope whatever you decided to do you have some quality time with your family and a well deserved rest :D
Good luck with Wales, I think there ahs been a small smidgeon of rain there too this year :D
Amber

Post by Amber »

Won't we all die if it's 95 degrees?

Norway in August is wonderful Marigold...the light will be perfect. Got my best ever tan picking strawberries in a long Norwegian summer when I was 18. The fair-skinned friend I went with got a dreadful case of sunburn and had to seek medical advice.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

If the campsite says it's good I'd believe them.

I went to a concert on Sunday at Ripley Castle, to see The Wanted (swoon) and half the people wore wellies. My dd wore trainers as did her three friends. I was full of how sorry they'd be and how they'd be walking home (the 'castle' is about a mile or so from where I live) 'cause they wouldn't be getting in the car full of mud, didn't they realise how wet it would be, afterall the Yorkshire Show was called off just a few days before as it was so wet.

Oh how they laughed when the ground was as dry as a bone (well, almost) and not a drop of mud to be seen anywhere - and that was with over 20,000 people tramping over it.

Some ground just drains away the water without any problem. I'd believe them, yup, I really would :shock: :wink: :lol: :lol:
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I have just got back from a week in The Lakes. We only got wet on Monday but did slightly modify some of our plans. Overnight rain meant some of the fells would have been too wet to tackle - we usually do Pike of Stickle in The Langdales but that would have been dangerous this year. We were in a cottage rather than camping.
Some of the fields are a bit boggy and the rivers are running quite high and fast but nothing was shut unlike last year when some of the jetties were under water so you couldn't catch boats from them on Derwent water.
Whereabouts are you camping?
I can recommend the Keswick pencil museum for an indoor activity and it has a nice cafe.
I can also offer suggestions on a range of walks if you are interested.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

I wonder where those lakes come from. :lol:

They don't grow on trees but they do come out of the sky. :)

We're off to sunny St Ives (Cornwall) for a camp, weather forecast looks fantastic. :D

I've bought a new inflatable tent :shock: not tested it, arrived to late, so I'm taking a spare tested tent, oh and a Camping Khazi, for when needs must. :P

Rehab. :arrow:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now