Is it necessary to do mock test?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

omismum

Is it necessary to do mock test?

Post by omismum »

Hi their,
Many of my friends have let their childerens try mock tests like sutton and so on...

I thought my DD will be fine as she is quite confidant in exams(she has given few music theory exams) and ok with time as well.
Is it ok for me to leave it or shall i try mock test for her?
If yes ,then what subject ? or all VR/NVR/MATHS/ENGLISH?

Thankyou
First-timer

Re: Is it necessary to do mock test?

Post by First-timer »

It's up to you. For my own DC, I run my own mocks. This is just to get them used to working to the same timings as the real exam. I set the papers in the same order as the real exam too. In Essex, we have English then Maths then VR. The subjects vary by county, though, so you need to check what is appropriate in your area.

For some DC, a mock sat with other DC is useful to give them experience of dealing with distractions. It depends on your child. You may be fairly certain that they'll be fine anyway.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

My DD did the Sutton one and I think it was useful for her. Although she has been in a number of exam situations they have all been either solo or surrounded by girls and teachers she knows really well. This was totally different, from handing her over to a stranger at the door, through sitting in a room with many more examinees than she has experienced before, to not knowing anyone in the break. Worth doing for us - and the marks were quite interesting too
copella

Post by copella »

We did the sutton mock test and I am really pleased we did. It showed us that he had a problem with multiple choice answer sheets which did not show up when he completed the papers at home, he also had problems with timings and it showed me that he needed alot of help with his english, when I was very complacent and thought he was doing well. So in terms of showing strengths and diffs it was great. it also showed him just how many children take these exams as the queue was so long and gave him the opportunity to experience an exam environment, so he was better prepared for the real thing. Best money I have spent. You would need to do the papers which are taken in your area, no point in taking papers your DC will not be taking in the real exam. My DS had also taken music exams fairly successfully and with few nerves. These exams are very different.
Jean.Brodie

Post by Jean.Brodie »

Hi there, omnismum! I would always do at least one Mock Test. It's a great way to experience the travelling, the wait, the going onto a strange place, a strange building, being in a big hall, sitting next to a kid who fidgets noisily and another who has bad cough, etc. The academic test feedback will also throw up some useful pointers.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Both my dds had done music exams and ballet exams and ballet shows and drama productions, but we did Sutton mocks both times and I would have paid ten times the price for what it gave us. It taught them both to deal with that hidden problem of exams, other people! Sniffling and coughing and rocking back on their chairs and clicking their pens and grinding their teeth and tutting loudly. Chairs and tables that wobble, pencils that break. All the things that sitting comfortably at home just does not prepare you for. DG
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

North Yorks do a familiarisation test a few days before the main one - same location, same table layout, same short amble, same format but answer sheets thrown in the bin. Maybe it helped - difficult ti try it with and without.
omismum

Post by omismum »

A big thankyou to all of you, who gave their openions about a mock tests...i think i should give a try.
Have lovely sunday.