Should children be put in ability sets?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

Should children be put in ability sets?

Post by Guest »

My child's primary school does not have ability sets. My two local comps only set for maths and this is in year 9. Shouldn't children be put in ability sets? Why is this not happening?
Bexley

Post by Bexley »

I think the case for setting for maths at primary is strong. Even within the three maths sets in my daughter's school they are further identified as high, mid and low ability, and the work further differentiated. The difference between the top and bottom of just one set can be quite remarkable. How a teacher can be expected to teach a class with those working at level 3 and those already at a high level 5 and enable all the children to gain something worthwhile and meaningful from the lesson is, in my opinion, a very big ask.

Post by Guest »

Our local comp also does not set by ability except in Maths (they even do not set at GCSE in some subjects). I've been interested in the recent debate about grammar schools that there seems to be an assumption that most comps do set - doesn't happen here! I think it's a problem for the teachers - I think all but the most outstanding teacher would find it difficult to teach such a range of ability in one class. And it's my major concern about the school.

Post by Guest »

I agree. The comp my son attends sets for maths, english and science and it causes big problems in all other subjects. He is fed up with working to the lowest common denominator and has expressed great boredom. Teaching staff seem unwilling or unable to do anything about it.
Grumpy...

Post by Grumpy... »

Anonymous wrote:I agree. The comp my son attends sets for maths, english and science and it causes big problems in all other subjects. He is fed up with working to the lowest common denominator and has expressed great boredom. Teaching staff seem unwilling or unable to do anything about it.
Then join in and celebrate 10 years of Nu Labour:

MEDIOCRITY FOR ALL, EXCELLENCE FOR NONE!

Post by Guest »

My daughter's primary doesn't set for anything. Worse, there are approx. 40 children per year so they have mixed-aged classes. For 2 consecutive years she had the misfortune of being taught in the same class as children a year below her, a bright year 5 being taught at the level of average year 4s didn't do her any good at all, she was bored for 2 years solid.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:I agree. The comp my son attends sets for maths, english and science and it causes big problems in all other subjects. He is fed up with working to the lowest common denominator and has expressed great boredom. Teaching staff seem unwilling or unable to do anything about it.
This is the problem with education in this country. Schools setting their own agenda regarding streaming - some set for every subject, some only for maths, some, it seems, not at all! If the comps are to get the best out of people, they should stream for all subjects. My son's comp does this and has outstanding results. My younger son's primary school has a "Challenge Club" for the gifted and talented. They do more challenging (hence the name) activities, and visit local schools to take part in activities with other G&T children.
Kent Mum

Post by Kent Mum »

When I was qualifying as an LSA one of the pieces of work we had to complete was a very detailed section on differentiation. We had to plan lessons within the curriculum and plan not only for whole class time and plenary but group work- how we would differentiate according to ability- how would we challenge the most able- would they work independently, how we'd encourage and enable the low- achievers, who would work with them, what would they say/ do - what about the 'middle' section- how would we further break it down into upper/ lower groups and so on. This was seen as something so important. We had to write on why differentiation is so vital, etc.
It staggers me that there are some schools that do not do this. how can they claim that this is good teaching? It's taught as being so basic and fundamental!
Of course I'm out of my mind! It's dark and scary in there!!!!

Post by Guest »

Kent Mum

My child is in year 6. The school he attends work has not been differentiated since year 2. All children have done the same work in all subjects. I have made several complaints and have now given up since the headteacher's response has been either that all children should have the same opportunity or that there are alot of children in the class that need extra support. What advice would you give to parents in my position?

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote: My child is in year 6. The school he attends work has not been differentiated since year 2. All children have done the same work in all subjects. I have made several complaints and have now given up since the headteacher's response has been either that all children should have the same opportunity or that there are alot of children in the class that need extra support. What advice would you give to parents in my position?
Year 6, summer term, child moving onto new school in September.
Only advise is be happy they're leaving soon. :D
If they were younger, Personally I'd talk with my feet. Get your child into a school that meets the needs of your child, even if that means it's further away. They don't get a 2nd chance at an education. (not unless they want to go to evening classes, that is :wink: )
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now