Burnham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Burnham

Post by Guest »

I went to visit Burnham Grammar School today and was happier than I thought I'd be although still have a number of reservations. The head of KS3 was excellent and the new head seemed pretty switched on. However, boy is the place gloomy and very, VERY grubby. My child also visited and although generally enjoyed the day was very disappointed with the amount of graffiti on walls and desks. Also, lots of short skirts and 'chav' style ties didn't give a good impression either (although I see students from other schools looking like that too).

We were also given results for 2005 GCSEs and there were rather too many Cs and Ds for MFLs. English and Maths seemed okay.

There was also a lot of confusing talk about a new Science syllabus (21st Century no less), sounded like general science to me but with separate qualifications in Bio, Chem etc ? something like that

Anyone else visited recently?

Post by Guest »

There was also a lot of confusing talk about a new Science syllabus (21st Century no less), sounded like general science to me but with separate qualifications in Bio, Chem etc ? something like that
the new science syllabus is a national change and not something specific to Burnham. You can read about it on the OCR exemining board website
marmite1705

re Burnham Grammar school

Post by marmite1705 »

I also went to look around today but unlike your child my child didn't have a chance to go there.I have to agree that it didn't give a good impression when in the refrectory hall a notice that said 'your belongings may be stolen' was crossed out to say 'will' be stolen.
I do agree the school was very grubby but to be honest all the other schoold apart from one have all been the same.
I thought the library facilities were a bit old fashioned and could have been stocked with more books.
I've seen better librarys.
I did like their learning ethos and the boys who showed us around seemed to be very happy at the school and were very polite and friendly.
I didn't get the speel about new science syllabus.
We had a speel about the personalised teaching and doing GCSEs when they are ready for it rather than a set time.

Re: re Burnham Grammar school

Post by Guest »

marmite1705 wrote:doing GCSEs when they are ready for it rather than a set time.
I wanted to ask about this as I found it rather confusing. They also said something about kids being able to get more AS levels and therefore more UCAS points for Uni entry. Do good universities really care much for AS pints? Surely they are still after 3 (possibly 4) solid academic subjects at A level. Do the good Universities really pay any attention to AS levels?

I don't feel quite as badly as I did about the school but still think it is only adequate and not where we would choose if we lived close enough to any other Bucks school to be in with a chance of getting in.

From the figures posted by someone else it looked liked Burhham had the lowest number of students putting it as their first choice secondary school in the whole of Bucks.
marmite1705

re:- AS levels

Post by marmite1705 »

To be honest I don't know.
I thought the same as you but from what the head was saying it seems uiversities do count them towards entry.
I am still unsure about all the different levels of exams as they have all
changed from when I went to school!! (a while back now!!).
Maybe someone else will be able to answer this question.
I will put it as second choice for us and see what happens, that is if my child passes the 11+.

Post by Guest »

Hi to you all, I had the same reservations as you when i looked around for my son, untidy uniforms, tired and run down buildings etc but my son was really taken with the place. He got his place and started last September and so far is loving it - like with people - look past the exterior its whats inside that counts and my son has made a lovely group of friends, is doing well accademically (middle ish i think), doesnt have hours and hours of homework and has the chance to do lots of sporting extra curricular. So at the moment I'm happy with the place and the appointment of the new head should be seen as a positive step forward. Just my views.

Susie
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

I went to Chesham High many years ago. The place had a lot of tatty pre-fab buildings, at least one of which was being held up by builders jacks (yet was still being used for lessons !). The Head also came across as a complete waste of space.

But the school was brilliant. My simple (simplistic?) view ever since is that you can't go wrong with a Bucks grammar school.

It also proves to me that you need to sometimes look beyond the exterior.

Post by Guest »

My main reservation about the appearance is the graffiti as to me that shows a lack of pride, respect and discipline. It really did put my child off who otherwise enjoyed the visit.

That said, we will now happily put it as 1st choice.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now