level 6

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bexley mum

level 6

Post by bexley mum »

Do any primary schools do level 6 in maths anymore? I know mine does not. It seems odd that so many do not when it really isn't that unusual to get level 5 in year 5 nowadays. When I asked what my child would be aiming for, when I was told she was level 5 in Jan. they told me that they do not work towards level 6 but offer more complex problems and ask for more explanations on how answers were found. What do other schools do?

Post by Guest »

No. Level 5 is the highest you can get.
solimum

level 6

Post by solimum »

Level 5 is certainly the highest test level you can achieve in year 6 now, but that doesn't prevent a teacher from assesing a child's work as being at level 6. The top maths set at my daughter's primary school were doing year 7 work in year 6. My daughter was annoyed she couldn't take the level 6 paper to catch up with her older brother (who was in the last cohort to take the extension papers I think and has now just finished year 12 doing Maths & Further Maths AS)
bexley mum

Post by bexley mum »

can a child actually achieve level 6 without being taught it? Also having looked at 11 plus maths questions I'm amazed at how many things haven't yet been covered in school. My daughter takes 11 plus in November and I'm gradually going through the Bond book making sure we've covered each subject.
Bexley

Post by Bexley »

I think they can be assessed as working beyond the level they are being tested at. I know in the yr4 optional sets I was told in one paper that my daughter could only be given a level 4 as that was as high as the paper went, but that she actually achieved beyond that. I could never quite work out how, but it seems it can be the case!!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There are extension tasks on the QCA website for the more able - the level 6 paper went some years ago ..
Alex

Post by Alex »

Son came home from school one day in the last week and said they had done another test at school to see if they were working at Level 6. Have no idea what the test was - do QCA have any such optional test? Son said quite a few of them scored well enough to get level 6. However, I don't think as many as "passed" this test have done the amount of extension work that would have been necessary to pass the Level 6 test as it was before it was scrapped.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Could be the school kept a copy of the old paper.

Did you ssee whether it was one of the optional tasks or was it like an exam with lots of questions?
Alex

Post by Alex »

Was apparently like an exam with lots of questions - but I don't think it can have been an old paper - I seem to remember that these were very difficult to pass, with very few children each year succeeding, whereas it seems quite a lot of the class passed this test! Perhaps level 6 "ain't what it used to be"!!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I would suggest it was not an 'official' test as none now exists