Exam format

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Campian

Exam format

Post by Campian »

Hi everyone - my first post! I'm helping my son prepare for September's exam and I'd be really grateful for some help with a couple of questions on the format of the exam, please?

I understand that GL Assessment produce the official papers. The first set of their practice papers we bought a few years ago for my daughter (11A-11D) had 85 questions in 50 minutes. The set that we've just bought (5-8) only has 80 questions in 50 minutes. I wonder, does anyone know how many questions will be in each paper in September?

Also, does the examining board provide direction to schools on when to provide time checks to the children during the exam e.g. half way through, 5 minutes to go, a minute to go etc. If so, any ideas what they are, please? I'd like to give my son some pointers on what he should be doing at different stages of the exam (but wanted to avoid him wearing a watch as he's not used to it and it may cause him more problems if he presses the wrong button!)

Thanks very much
kittykat92

Re: Exam format

Post by kittykat92 »

Hi there,

The exam in September is 2 x 80 question papers to be completed in 50mins. I think it differs as to what point during the exam a 'time left' is called out etc. There is a big clock at the front of the hall though. Could your son wear a analogue watch just incase he can't see the clock? This would also help in any logical questions to do with time.

How is your son getting on with the practice papers? Bright Sparks is a good set to have, apparently very like the actual test in terms of difficulty.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now