eleven plus do you have to pass both papers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
debs2028

eleven plus do you have to pass both papers

Post by debs2028 »

I cannot find the answer to this ..to pass do you need to pass each paper individually or are both marks added together so you can do well on one and not on another?
Bati

Re: eleven plus do you have to pass both papers

Post by Bati »

as far as i know its both added together
kittykat92

Post by kittykat92 »

Its an overall score of both papers so yes, effectively your child could pass one with flying colours and fail the other but still "pass" overall. And remember, points are added depending when the child's birthday is.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

If it's standardised points aren't added but children are only compared to children born in the same month as them, but of course it could be different in the Wirral :oops:
scary mum
debs2028

Post by debs2028 »

Thanks I was only asking as my son did a sort of mock and got 76% on one paper tpbut then got 95% on the second so overall I think would have been a pass. Would prefer him to be getting a pass on both papers though really. He is a July birthday, but from what I can gather if all children born in his month do well this will make little difference.....is this correct :?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Younger children tend to score slightly lower from what I understand, but yes, it would be entirely possible to have a very clever group of July born children who all score highly. If you have a look in the Bucks section there are some scores needed by children born in different months to pass the Bucks test. The score won't be relevant to you, but you will see the slight difference in correct answwrs needed in order to pass. If I can find it I will edit this post.

Here it is, these are scores out of 80 and the pass mark in Bucks is 121.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=18356" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
kittykat92

Post by kittykat92 »

Oh I thought kids were automatically given extra depending on when their birthday was?

I thought this was due to the fact that kids learn an average of about 800 new words per year so an August born child would be at a disadvantage against a September born child.

Hmmm....I'd really like clarification on this!

I have a friend who's child (July baby) passes many of the practice papers with scores between 75-85% so her child is very borderline. She was counting on marks being added to bump her child over the pass mark!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I don't know anything about the Wirral exam, but if it is like all the other GL Assessment 11 pluses, it will be standardised for age, so September born children will only be compared against other September born children etc etc. If you search on standardisation on here you will find lots of information, or look at the GL assessment website for details of how it is done. Usually younger children do need to score a couple of marks lower to achieve the same score but nothing is ever "added" (or taken away). I'm really no expert though, just found myself joining in the converstaion :D

Try this:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advice ... xplanation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
Bati

Post by Bati »

I am so confused by all of this :?
why do they keep how they do it so secret :(
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now