Can someone explain ranking?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mummyof2

Can someone explain ranking?

Post by Mummyof2 »

Hi, I'm new to all of this, my daughter took two mock papers and we were given the % and the rank. One of them was 44 out of 50. I can't get a definitive answer from the company she did the test with, can someone tell me if the highest score would be 50 or 1? So did she score higher than 44 kids? Or did she only score higher than 6? Very confused about this, lol.
mystery

Re: Can someone explain ranking?

Post by mystery »

:? :( They should explain to you what it all means ........ otherwise I'd suspect it was just a pile of rubbish. Can you get your money back if they can't explain properly?
Mummyof2

Post by Mummyof2 »

I have just emailed them for the third time asking for an explanation so hopefully they will respond properly this time.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

"%" would be score expressed as "x out of 100" so 44/50 isn't the percentage but could be the actual number of questions your DD got right - were there 50 questions (or was 50 the total possible score) in the test?

44/50 could also be your daughter's ranking i.e. she was 44th out of a total of 50 taking the test?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think you will have to look at the percentage ... if it is low then it is likely that 44 kids scored higher than her, however if it is high then only 6 may have scored higher than her.

We can't really say as we don't know the mock test she did.

In 11 plus areas who use ranking it is usually '1' that is the highest.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now