Summer blues

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fairyelephant

Summer blues

Post by fairyelephant »

Is anyone else wondering if it's all worth it? My dd loved HB at the open day and has worked for an hour or so every day since, but her scores aren't high enough judging by this forum and I'm finding it difficult not to tell her to give up....
She has been preparing for independent exams and I guess had I realised I would have pushed her harder sooner.
This is my first post, have been hovering on the forum for a couple of weeks
yummycool

Re: Summer blues

Post by yummycool »

Hi fairyelephant (cool name)

When I saw your post I kept thinking had I written it without realizing it ?!!...I too have been hovering lately and posting a bit here and there. We started off well with dd, scores were starting to look ok, but as time as progressed they don't seem to get past 75 - 80%. It all come to a head this morning. We too are doubting ourselves, and dd saying she didn't want to do any more practice.

But, the memories of the open day brought back how much she really wanted to be there. I found her sitting at her desk trying to work on areas she doesn't like (weak on). I feel very torn/guilty, so many different emotions each and every day.

Keep trying and don't give up - they do say, you never know!

Going to take each day as it comes, small bite size chunks of revision and keep going. (I cannot say how much I cannot wait till this is all over).

Take care :)
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Thanks so much yummy cool, now I feel better.
I think our dds are in a similar place right now. We only looked at independents just in case our excellent local comprehensive had an even smaller catchment this year, but the cost would put us under a lot of pressure. It would be fab if dd could go to HB but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Has anyone had a test date allocation letter yet, I don't know when they will come out.
ReplayMum

Post by ReplayMum »

Hi fairyelephant & yummycool,

Don't give up, and don't show this to your dd's at all. Whatever we parents feel normally affects the kids.
Keep trying and encouraging them. If they are scoring 70s then encourage them to put a wee bit of extra effort and see if they can get 2 marks extra. And then give them a paper they have already attempted in the past.
Once they manage to score a little extra it will boost their confidence, and just keep encouraging them.

My dd was in the same place last year, and I followed this and by the time the exams were near she was scoring either late 80s or in 90s easily.

Don't stress to much though. Keep it cool.

I wish you and your dd's all the best.
Apple10

Post by Apple10 »

Fairyelephant, Yummycool

I totally understand the frustation sometimes especially in the holidays when all you both want to do is just chill. However, talking from experience, it is definitely worth it.
We were in a similar postion last summer. My dd had set her heart on hbs but found working in the summer hols extremely difficult and marks started dropping. I started giving her money incentives such as £1 for every time she scored above 90% and that seemed to work.
She managed to secure a place at hbs so whatever works with your dc is definitely worth it. Just do not give up and as Replaymum said, keep cool..
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Replay mum and apple10,
Thanks so much, trying to keep my cool, thanks for your support!
yummycool

Post by yummycool »

Thank you all on this thread - we took a break and attended the Olympic Park and watched some Basketball. It was a much needed break for us all!

We restarted today and we worked out that dd was rushing to the point that reading the question properly was a big part in her low scores. Hopefully we can go back and revisit this area and gradually build up.

Her main area of weakness is her comprehension and writing skills - and I don't know whether we will have the much needed time to work on this in time for the tests.

Really appreciate the support.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Are you having to cope with different styles of English exams or are they are all about the same? I was looking at a Year Four literacy book in Smiths today and I was astonished by what our dcs are supposed to know by the end of Year Four which I find many dont know by the end of Year Five. Often the students have heard of the terms but do not seem to have been taught how to apply them in creative writing. Do you feel the school should have done more to get your dd upto the required level? DG
Last edited by Daogroupie on Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chilled

Post by Chilled »

For comprehension I found the Key Comprehension series really helpful. The only downside is that the answers come in a separate book although we didn't bother to get it. Instead we discussed the answers DS had given and I accepted any answer that could be backed up from the text.
yummycool

Post by yummycool »

Daogroupie wrote:Are you having to cope with different styles of English exams or are they are all about the same? I was looking at a Year Four literacy book in Smiths today and I was astonished by what our dcs are supposed to know by the end of Year Four which I find many dont know by the end of Year Five. Often the students have heard of the terms but do not seem to have been taught how to apply them in creative writing. Do you feel the school should have done more to get your dd upto the required level? DG

Hi Daogroupie

Totally!

We had a very bad year this year - a very unmotivated teacher who did not inspire her pupils at all.

Not once did we receive any homework in year 5 (asked many times but did not materialise). So, tried the diy route, but with everything else - vr, nvr and maths took a precedence as we realised these areas required more work. English took a back seat as her sats results were encouraging - but now in hindsight we should have placed more of an importance on this area also :(

I don't think we will be able to cover the whole subject in time for the exams. Really feel let down by the school (many parents feel the same way) but we are where we are!

Trying to go through past papers but as there so many gaps in her skillset dd is becoming disheartened. DD wanted out of the whole process but decided she wanted the school so much has started to retry. I don't want her to give up now as she has worked so hard (not achieved the 90% range as many seem to post on this forum) more the 80% range in the three other areas. Hoping to keep up the English work and that will get her through. Currently around the 70% range for comprehension - her inferrence skills require the most work. DD is reluctant to say or think what she knows as she doesn't like getting things wrong! Her writing skills are ok but not very refined - she says they haven't touched upon many of the areas that I ask her to think about when writing.

We have a few weeks so will be giving it our best shot.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now