where do i start

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bati

where do i start

Post by Bati »

feeling overwhelmed
i have wrote out all the words from the vocab list on here and i really dont know where to start with dd as there is so many of them :(
feel like we might have left the vocab word list to late to be able to learn them all - any ideas of how we should approach it
hermanmunster

Re: where do i start

Post by hermanmunster »

At the beginning - in bite sized chunks!

As you are fairly short of time, then divide the words up into the number of days you have left and attack just a few words a day...

Get your DC to look the word up in the dictionary and try writing a couple of sentences including the word.

Keep a note of these, say on flashcards - and go through them nearer the time.
Mindset

Re: where do i start

Post by Mindset »

Hi Bati,

I agree completely. Perhaps the full list is overwhelming, but your child may already have a good working knowledge of some words. Perhaps whisking through them with 3 pens and doing a traffic light for each word (red- I've no idea what it means, yellow- I know what it means but I don't use it, green- I already use this word confidently). Then perhaps tackling a few of each list of words a day.

The red ones I'd do exactly as HM suggested, and then promote them to yellow.

The yellow words we did a game of 'bingo' with each day, we'd have a list in the morning, remind ourselves what they meant, and then have a challenge to use them in context during the day. If I got in there first, he had to use it twice! It was actually quite fun, and we found ourselves really pushing each others vocabulary. If yours is motivated by 'prizes' then you could use those... Bonus prizes for using previous days words.

Green words could be covered by banning 'dull' words in conversation. So replacing words like nice/OK/tired/bored with either a better word or a simile would help them up their vocab.

Also, if you can, talk about where the word may have come from and what words are similar. The chances are they'll see completely new words in the test and being able to break them down/take an educated guess is a real skill worth having.

I'm scared that all sounds more overwhelming! I hope not. But small chunks and as fun as possible worked for us. Good luck! M
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now