GL nv pack 2 advice needed please

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Rainy

GL nv pack 2 advice needed please

Post by Rainy »

Hi My son has completed several different nv papers inc IPS,Athey and Gl/letts pack 1 with scores ranging from 70- 90% Today he did paper 5 from pack 2 and only got 64% What experiences has anyone had of these papers? I don't know whether to continue with them or not! I told him that they were good experience and extra practise. Even on the question types that he usually got mostly correct he had made several mistakes. All opinions/advice greatfully received as I just want to give him the best support I can.
Regards
Rainy
FluffyD

Re: GL nv pack 2 advice needed please

Post by FluffyD »

Pack 2 is a lot harder, don't be put off by the lower score. Also, it may just be a blip in his performance, I would ignore it and carry on, we all have off days. Maybe give him the test to do again in a few days and see if there is a difference. I know that if my DS does badly on a test that he does a lot better when he does it again a few days later.
Vic x
Rainy

Post by Rainy »

Thank you for your reply Vic, it is nice to know that others have experienced the same thing with these papers. I will give him the same paper again as you advise and see how it goes and like you say we all have our off days. Hope all well with you and family and thanks again for taking the time to reply
Rainy
ifonly

Post by ifonly »

Hi! I could have written the first post word for word myself. We've been looking at the GL Pck 2 NV & my son has only been scoring in the 60 / 70 % range (going down on each paper in the series!!!) which has had me really worried. (As if I'm not already!) :lol: We have now done all of the papers in the pack once, so now I have looked at which sections he has done worst on and plan to go over these slowly to check that he understands how to tackle them. Then we'll try the papers again at a later date to hopefully build his confidence again! Trying to keep his confidence up whilst mine is suffering!!! :D Guess that's why I've joined here!! I'm hoping that these papers are just tougher than others, so that I feel that there is still some hope he 'may' pass the real test! Good Luck and I hope the other papers are better for you than they have been for us!
Rainy

Post by Rainy »

Hi ifonly thanks for your reply, it is good to be able to share the ups and downs of what we and our children are experiencing on the 11+ journey. Hope all goes well for your son and that you have a positive outcome. When does he take the test? We are in lincs and take it 15th and 22nd Sept.
Take care
Rainy
Rainy

Post by Rainy »

No matter what the publishers say there is a certainly a big difference in the level of difficulty in pack 2. We are leaving the last paper because the negative effect on his self esteem is not worth it. We have pack 1 paper A and a few ips papers left so I am going to use them. He did well in the prac/mock at school so the previous prac papers he did at home were clearly challenging enough.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now