Wisdom Teeth and Young Teenagers

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ally

Wisdom Teeth and Young Teenagers

Post by Ally »

We've just come back from my Ds's checkup at the Orthodontist.
He's 13yr later this month and has a cross bite. He'll need a brace, but as he's not lost all his first set of teeth, it's wait another 15 month to see what happens to the last three teeth.

But the latest x-ray has shown a problem with the orientation of one set of Ds's wisdom teeth. So he now needs to be referred to an oral surgeon! Just spoken to our dentist receptionist to see which NHS oral surgeon is best and any advice on if it'll be covered by BUPA ( we don't have the dentistry option ), but some dental surgery is covered. She was very surprised that the Orthodontist has mentioned DS's wisdom teeth and 13yr is very young to have them removed. Waiting to see what our dentist says next week. But now I'm really worried.
fatbananas

Re: Wisdom Teeth and Young Teenagers

Post by fatbananas »

I had my wisdom teeth removed at 15. They kept moving up and down and there was a lot of conversation about whether or not to have them removed. Eventually, they were taken out when I had another tooth removed that had become embedded in the roof of my mouth and had never moved down (I had a milk tooth until I was 30 and then had it replaced because it was so small compared to my other teeth).

The operation was really no big deal. I could've had it all done under a local anaesthetic but I chose not to because I didn't like the idea of watching all these people come at me with implements (my 15 year old female imagination ran wild!), so I had it done under a general anaesthetic. The only downside was I threw up a couple of hours after 'coming to' as a reaction to the anaesthetic (same happened after the birth epidurals which is not part of the 'bonding picture' I'd ever been told about :lol: ), but otherwise, no problems at all. :D
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Mr Amber is a dentist, and stresses that this is only his opinion, based on not seeing your DS or his x rays.
In over 20 years of practice, he has never come across a situation where there is concern about the wisdom teeth of a 13 year old. If an opinion is being sought from an oral surgeon, s/he won't recommend anything which isn't necessary. In the unlikely event that surgery is needed at this stage, it will be covered quite adequately by the NHS. So don't worry!
Ally

Post by Ally »

Thanks Amber
We've known that DS would need a brace because of his cross bite. I'm a little disappointed that we got to wait another 15months at least, as it would be much easier to manage the logistics of orthodontics visits starting in Y9, instead of mid to late Y10, but not much I can do about that especially as DS didn't lose his first tooth until Y5.

Will also have to wait and see what happens with the referral to the oral surgeon. I was very surprised that they mentioned his wisdom teeth. I'll chase our local dentist so that we can see which NHS hospital is best / lists tend to move quicker.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now