Bursaries - do they make a difference to whether we get in?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
loveyouradvice

Bursaries - do they make a difference to whether we get in?

Post by loveyouradvice »

Hi

We're just beginning to think we should look at bursaries as we'd probably be eligible for some schools..... and I wondered if they make a difference to whether you get in or not?

I guess Id hope they do them blind - offering places and then seeing which kids are bursary kids or not.... but I guess my fear is that they might decrease our daughter's chance of getting in???

Anyone know???

Thanks.... may sound a strange question but we're just beginning to look into this really properly as her chances of getting into the state school we would like are less than 20% cos of geography.... and her grand-dad who was going to pay school fees has just lost a shedload of money.
lara228

Re: Bursaries - do they make a difference to whether we get

Post by lara228 »

As far as I am aware, bursary applications do not affect any other entry criteria - firstly your child has to be able to pass the entry examinations and then you have to pass the means tested financial application in order to be awarded a bursary. Also, if you apply for a bursary but do not get one, you should still be able to accept the place for your child if someone else comes up with the fees. The only thing to note is that most schools have a finite 'pot' for bursaries and will divide the money as they seem fit.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

I'd imagine that for most schools there will be more competition for bursary places, simply because there are so few available and so many potential applicants, thus making bursary places the more difficult ones to obtain.
Loopy
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

some schools have all the kids take the exam and then bursaries may be offered to those who have the higher scores (if the bursary is required and any amount offered will be means tested). Can be possible to be offered a non bursary place... then difficult decisions have to be made
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

or there are those who offer a scholarship (not means tested) on the basis of entrance exam mark and then you apply separately for a means tested bursary
RubyChewsday

Post by RubyChewsday »

We needed a large bursary as my son chose a school that was much to far to travel to each day. My son was offered a 35% bursary on the basic boarding fee which was what we had hoped for. Unfortunately the extras are appalling & the costs crept up each term.

The school was an over subscribed public school, year 9 entry. So in our case, no the bursary didn't stop my son gaining a place.

Go for the bursary OP & don't worry. Remember those extras though!
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

If you are not in a position to afford the school fees without a bursary then you should apply. I worry that the way you phrase your question suggests you are "shopping" for an indy place at the cheapest establishment. I have a child at Rugby: she would not be there despite her scholarship, unless she had been awarded a bursary. These are always means tested on an annual basis but they have to be applied for. I am increasingly amazed to see the numbers of parents who appear to think that their child is so special that the school is going to offer a bursary. The reality is that the top schools have no difficulty filling their places. They also go out of their way to help with fees payments. However YOU have to do your homework and ask the authorities how things work.

I am amazed at the number of parents who do not. One set of parents I met spent more than a year unable to login to the school website - and therefor did not receive, on time, important communications from the school. They were apparently too busy. The poor child is no longer there as her parents circumstances changed and their gamble came unstuck. It is a great shame but good education is expensive, paying for it hurts!
londonmum

Post by londonmum »

Well put Sassie's dad!

We managed two sets of school fees by me going back to work, and by us leading quite a frugal lifestyle. It has done the kids no harm to be aware that money has to be worked for and that things, like school fees, need to be afforded. And that if you have to make choices. Most people cannot afford everything: school fees, large house, holidays, new car etc

I too am surprised at the sense of entitlement show by some. (I dont include OP in this )

I also agree about being tactical. More expensive schools often have more money for bursaries, not least because cheaper schools with less glam facilities are likely to appeal to those with "relatively" lower incomes.

I remember one dad, some years ago, getting very cross. His wife was very keen to secure the best education she could for her very-bright son, but he did not "believe" in paying school fees. They had been offered a place at a very big name school but only a small bursary if anything. Not surprising as they both worked and externally at least appeared to enjoy an affluent London life-style. A second less prestigious school, some distance away, was offering far more. He could not see why the first school was not prepared to offer the same. The child went to the second.

The same well-regarded school seems to have required another mum to get at least a part-time job before offering a package for her only child at 13. I support this approach. There is only so much money. Sharing it around helps more children access a good education. For each 100% bursary, three children can be offered 30%. If that means looking to parents to stretch a little - in line with what some non-bursary parents are already doing - so be it.
mamakiso

Post by mamakiso »

loveyouradvice

It would be wise to read the school prospectus and speak to someone in the school if possible. Some schools clearly state that if you apply for a bursary place and do not make the grade, you will not be offered a fee paying space. Take City of London Boys for example; they have a a separate bursary exam and if your child doesn't pass that, he cannot advance to the common entrance stage.

However, most schools have just one common entrance exam and the means tested bursary only comes into play once your child has passed the exam. Obviously depending on the school the pot can be quite limited or could stretch to a few pupils.

Hope this helps
loveyouradvice

Post by loveyouradvice »

mamakiso... what a wonderfully helpful answer, thank you.

ANd guys there is NO WAY I feel a sense of entitlement, just a wondering if we can make it possible.... we already have a lodger in our spare bedroom, I have ME so can only work part-time et al so couldnt afford full fees..... There is a high probability that my sister would offer to help if we were offered a place without a bursary but I dont want to ask her as she has two kids of her own and I would see this as the ultimate fall-back if nowt else comes through..... So many hoops, so many options and DD may indeed go to the local comp ... or get a place at the state school we like locally but tis a longshot....

I am a big believer in bursaries helping as many as possible ...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now