HELP WITH ENGLISH SUBJECT

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

khanj010

HELP WITH ENGLISH SUBJECT

Post by khanj010 »

I have been on this forum for some time and im addicted to it. many people have given me advice while my 1st ds was going through the 11+ process. Now i have to do it again with my 2nd ds who will be taking the 2013 11 + vr test in bucks. Any way my 2nd ds who will be starting his yr5 is very confident in maths but English is by far the most very challenging, As English is our 2nd languge and one which we due to grandperants living with us (who dont speak the language at all) we dont speak much of at home. I am having difficulty of how to teach him at home, i have brought most of the books in this subject, but he is not interested as my 1st ds . I dont know if he will improve in this subject which leaves the fact that he is not 11+ material. (not up to it).
Has any one been in the same situation as i am in , will he change in yr 5 , i dont know if i should nag him or just turn a blind eye on this matter and let him work it out for himself. I had high hopes of my first ds passing and still do think he could do very well in a gs school but this one although he is a very compitertive with his bro he aint that bothered. Any help or advice would be appreciated, or if any one knows any good games sites which will encourage him to enjoy the subject. thanks
Guest55

Re: HELP WITH ENGLISH SUBJECT

Post by Guest55 »

We don't know what the format will be for next year's test so it's hard to give you advice.

Go to the Open evenings/days in September and get him enthused about what a GS offers - then he might want to go for it.

The dates of the Open evenings are here:

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/schools/a ... nings.page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
khanj010

Post by khanj010 »

Thank you guest55 yes i know its hard to give advice on this matter but i suppose english and maths are the core subjects, so its better to revise more for these as we dont know what tests these schools will conduct.
RLB10

Post by RLB10 »

I know someone with a similar problem and I must say, few kids sort it out for themselves.

I would get him to write a mini story - about half a page - to the best of his ability. Write down a few realistic pointers of what he has to improve to get his skills up to scratch and work on them bit by bit.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now