Oh the evils of 11 plus parents......

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nicolajane1971

Oh the evils of 11 plus parents......

Post by nicolajane1971 »

To what levels do we go to in order to encourage our little darlings to practise 'just a little more'?

I now find myself offering him 10 pence for every correct question (in the interests of encouraging accuracy and double checking), DS, being the clever little bugger that he is, tries to renegotiate 10 pence for every 1 percent he gets correct..... I'm thinking that BV should take him purely on the basis of his devious attributes.

Any other little tales to amuse me on our journey down the 11 plus lane?

3 weeks 4 days, tick tock tick tock.....
reeyah

Re: Oh the evils of 11 plus parents......

Post by reeyah »

:lol:

NJ1971, we all start to go slowwwlllyy crazyyyyy towards the end :wink: .. I remember telling my DS that if he didn't pull his socks up, he would be 'bullied forever' at the Local Comp. Then when he initially didn't get a place ( long story!), I dutifully handed the acceptance slip to the LC , and came back and told him what a 'delightful school'
it seemed. Of course, being perceptive as children are, he questioned as to whether he would now be 'bullied forever' :oops:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Don't ever run down the alternate school :wink:

... you never know what will happen and it is quite hard to dig yourself out of that one - after all kids can be as easily bullied at a selective school as a non selective school!
nicolajane1971

Post by nicolajane1971 »

Lol Reeyah, this site is a blessing, I do have a rather unfortunate habit of roaming the site until I find an answer I actually like/want, i.e. 90% is a fallacy is a far more satisfactory answer - it does take some time though!

We all have the best of intentions, why do they have a horrid habit of backfiring?! Oh and paying for results backfired somewhat, by the 3rd paper of the day (I know, I know, too much but he was quite happy), his brain had gone to mush and he was a complete numpty, needless to say that paper went in the bin and we are pretending it never happened!

:evil: :evil: :evil:
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

Absolutely HM :wink: ... It was a desperate attempt to get him to work, admittedly not a very clever thing to say!
um

Post by um »

I took ds2 to the open day at our local comp (the one whose pupils beat up ds1 once while he was waiting for the bus) and I certainly didn't have to say anything to put it down.

At one point, I pulled him to one side of the stairs just in time to avoid being knocked off his feet by a boy, who we'd witnessed in a fight on the landing, hurtling past us. :shock:
Ds2 is rather small for his age and not particularly brave, so this was enough incentive to get working :wink:
I am aware that teachers and staff at this school work very hard and that many pupils will be happy there, but to be fair I don't think my ds2 could have coped. He has not been to Primary school in our area either and has always had an 'academic' personality.
That's why I showed him that school, so he could realise the choices that he was making.
nicolajane1971

Post by nicolajane1971 »

Sometimes we have to be cruel to be kind.........
ChessDadPlus

Post by ChessDadPlus »

Give them a timed test, for a 12 year old, ie 12+ assessment

Push the boundary

Don't bribe, as that will not do them any favour on the day

Remember that they should work on the premise that they need to earn the piece of mind that they Can Do as opposed to Can't Do

It was tough in my days, so why make it easier for them just because we are in the 21st Century

Reward them with something physical to complement their study, and give them the all round boost to their confidence.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now