Running out of time

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
westlondondeep

Running out of time

Post by westlondondeep »

We started late preparing - July for this sept 11+. After doing a past paper together it was obvious that vocab was the biggest issue. How to do the 11+ book was completed with together. Learning the vocab list that is available free on line, making flashcards has been ongoing. The first set of 4 past papers were completed up to question number 70 or so in the time. Scores were encouraging and by the time the second book of past papers was started she was not finishing but passing. The last three past papers however have seen her being able to finish less and less questions in the time. She get over 80 % correct but is just not fast enough. Mainly the ones that she gets wrong are due to not knowing the meaning of words or seeing them out of context. I have been reading other posts she already does time saving things I see that advised ie not reading the question as she recognises the types, using the answer sheets, leaves some that she recognises to be time consuming. She does 10 min tests in well under the time . I just got the 11+ - 12+ ten min test as the others did not seem to be challenging at all - she did the first test in 3 mins got 75 %. I don't know what to do to increase her speed. I am starting to worry that I have set her up to fail something that she is well capable of passing because we started late. I sound like a right slave driver - she is well rewarded for her efforts.
Any and all advice would be appreciated.
nicolajane1971

Re: Running out of time

Post by nicolajane1971 »

Hiya,

We are in exactly the same position as you, very late starters, 8 weeks preparation in total with 3 weeks left to go.

If I were you, given how late you have started, I would be happy with those percentages and perhaps move on to other areas that she is weakest - is she getting the same type of questions wrong every time for example - if she is then you can just focus on those questions.

AND REMEMBER, IT'S HOW SHE DOES ON THE DAY THAT COUNTS!

Also, are you completely familiar with the format of the exam she will be taking, they are different all over the country.

Good luck, it sounds like she is doing really well, if she's worked anywhere near as hard as my DS you must be a very proud mum regardless of the outcome.
trisca

Post by trisca »

I'm in a similar situation as well, we started late July for the test on September 27. We fumbled around for a couple of weeks and then found this website, which has been a massive amount of help.

I've been trying to give her a test every morning, one day verbal next day non-verbal. We revise the incorrect answers in the evening. I bought The Tutors (this website's) computer program that gives you 50 of each type of question (by type, not mixed up) and if I identify an area she is weak in I get her to do the 50 questions. Worked wonders for the codes like AB is to CD as PQ is to ?

I'm not sure we're doing enough but it's summer and we're about to go away and then it's straight back to school so I figure I only really have this week, yikes. We should have started earlier, I didn't know about these tests though.

Good luck.
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

We were late starters last year with my DD. As at the 5 August she hadn't even seen an 11 plus question type or paper and the tests were the 17 and 24 September! Whilst not a route I would advise, you have no option but to be focused and by the test dates she was ready. Our test consists of VR and NVR - I gave her one paper of each out of the blue and quickly eliminated the types she was clearly okay on, made a note of the types which were weak/weaker and then concentrated on them for a few days etc. Then did another paper and so on. Vocab was a major worry for me as she could get a whole section of 'closest in meaning' wrong and that was 2 weeks before the test!!! Rather than start at such a late stage with 500 random words for her to learn, I listed the ones she didn't know from the papers/10 min tests and she made a note of similars and opposites, I went through every past paper and 10min test I had and made a list of all the 'double meaning' words which appeared - object, contest etc. An advantage was she was immediately hot on non verbal. I remember reading a post on here last year and one of the verbal experts said that you can teach verbal in a month and DD is proof of that as she got 90%+, so stick with it, organise your time well and most of all stay positive. Good luck!!
trisca

Post by trisca »

How did she find the vocabulary on the actual test? Some of the words in some of the practice tests are so random I can't see how they think knowing them tells them anything (one had the word 'fermented,' why would any 10 year old naturally know that word?) On another she had to match up that badgers live in setts (which she happened to know because she'd recently read it in Beatrix Potter.) I'm curious about how closely these tests mirror the vocabulary in the real exam.
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

She said she found it easier in the the real thing, though she did come out of the test and ask what 'crochet' was and pronounced it 'crotchet'!!!! It was in an 'odd 2 out question' and she clearly got that wrong. Ironically she did know as we have a crocheted throw! I also did her a list of baby animals, animals homes, instruments etc and am using it for DS and it has worked.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

DD did a sample paper that needed you to know that cirrus, stratus and cumulonimbus were cloud forms - what 10 yr old would know that :(
westlondondeep

Post by westlondondeep »

Thank you to everyone that has replied to my very first post on my very first forum - the things you do for you children! Reading replies is encouraging and reassuring.