APS for children entering Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
um

APS for children entering Grammar

Post by um »

There are regular questions on the forum regarding the National Curriculum levels that might be expected of a child who will be successful in their attempt at Grammar school entry.

As children begin receiving end of year reports and assessment results, I imagine that parents will begin wondering again this year.

Whilst I absolutely agree that the 11 Plus exam has many differences to the SATs exams and assessment criteria, and so cannot be readily compared, I looked, out of interest, at the average point scores for children entering our local Grammar schools (averaged over English and Maths too) and have posted below.

As a guide:

Level 4b (expected level at end of KS2) is 27 points
4a is 29 points
5c is 31 points
5b is 33 points
5a is 35 points

Here are the 2011 entry levels:

Camp Hill Boys 33.2
Camp Hill Girls 33.2
Five Ways 33.2
KE Aston 32.8
KE Handsworth 32.8
Bishop Vesey 32.2
Sutton Girls 32.6
Handsworth Grammar 31.1
nickyfixit

Re: APS for children entering Grammar

Post by nickyfixit »

hi there, can somebody please advise where i would find out this info for queen mary boys? thanks
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

http://www.education.gov.uk/cgi-bin/sch ... urn=104262" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nickyfixit

Post by nickyfixit »

thank you :D
Farooq

Post by Farooq »

Excellent information - thanks! :)

I took an average of all of the marks that you posted and the average came to around 33.6 ... which equates to around 5A,5B,5B (English reading+writing and maths) give or take a sub grade...

I wonder what the weighting for the level 6 paper is?
best regards

Farooq

(In the field of observation, chance favors the prepared mind. Louis Pasteur)
daveg

Post by daveg »

Farooq wrote: I wonder what the weighting for the level 6 paper is?
By the time SATS happen, secondary school allocations are complete. Few parents whose children have secured a place at a grammar will care about the SATS at all, never mind the level 6 papers. Private schools don't take them anyway.
um

Post by um »

Most 'prep' private schools that I know do take the SATs tests, and inform parents of the results.
There are of course many other measures of success too, I am not for one moment suggesting that this is the only way to measure achievement, or even that it is the best, just that it is an interesting benchmark.

Many good Primary schools - including state schools - have been taking the level 6 SATs papers this year. Happily, my ds2's state school had 24% of the year with level 6 Maths.

As a parent, I would not want to completely ignore my child's education following their Grammar school results; I would want to know that they were continuing to engage with learning and enjoy making progress.

For the questioner who asked about level 6 APS:
6c is 37 points
6b is 39 points
6a is 41 points

I imagine that the APS for children entering Grammar will actually rise next year above the figures quoted above, due to more able pupils now having been enabled to 'officially' take Level 6 assessment papers at the end of KS2.
ChessDadPlus

Post by ChessDadPlus »

So are we saying we need a minimum of 5A across the board to be comfortable of a chance to get in, or do we need to aim higher eg 6A?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now